Criminal Record Bureau Check

paulears

The CRB check done on me when I was at my old college isn't much help to me now that I don't work there, so I thought I'd get one done on myself so if anybody asks if I have got one, I can say yes.

I've found out that you can't actually check yourself, so I'd have the paperwork to show anyone who was interested.

Has anyone found a solution to this? It does seem odd that the only way you can be checked out is by a prospective client doing themselves - and that isn't a simple thing as the rules mean they have to do quite a bit of work to make it happen.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's funny (not haha funny) you should mention this, as seeing the thing on the news about all the innaccuracies in the "system" reminded me that I had to get one, well at least, that I should get one.

For those that do stuff with churches, or schools, then it is much easier to get one via them.

Otherwise, the first thing I'd do is look on http://www.crb.gov.uk which I'm sure you've already done.

Tis a good question, because I thought that it was a simple and free thing. But registering with the CRB Organisation seems to be at a fee.

Disclaimer - I'm in Scotland, and the system here is a little different - it's known as a "Disclosure Scotland Check".

But the important thing about it is that it's a check that's done by an employer. It's not an "I am not a perv" badge, that you can flash (!) in front of prospective employers. If that were the case, then forgery would be an issue.

So, for example, one of my colleagues has had 3 separate checks done: one because he works with young people, one because he is a Scout leader, and one because his wife is a childminder. From (eg) the Scouts point of view, it was not acceptable for him to say "It's OK, I've had a check done at work". They had to check for themselves.

Having said that, if an organisation is applying for a check for someone who has already been done, then if they quote that person's reference number, the check goes through much quicker. But the final "OK" still comes direct from the central agency, rather than via the person who is being investigated.

When I was Camp America-ing about 2 years ago I got a background check done by popping down to the local police station filling in a form and paying a fee (about £20 I think). This was then posted to me at my home address. It was pretty much two paragraphs saying we have no information on record about this individual. (I don't think there were copies sent to anyone else, as I had to show the letter to a CA employee at the airport and the camp I worked at)

It looked a lot less extensive than the enhanced disclosure I had done last November. I don't know if you can still do this it but maybe worth looking at. But as has been pointed out the current system is geared toward the employer/ body your working with to actively investigate your background to ensure your not hiding anything, rather than just taking your word for it when you flash a certificate or disclosure document. All though it might be slow and tedious filling a new application each time, it in theory provides a better degree of protection.

Additionally my check in November was because I joined the millennium volunteer scheme. The disclosure wasn't done by the place I volunteered at but by the group that organised my placement. Maybe there's similar organisations or schemes that could be used if people are volunteering at/ helping out at places rather than actually being employed.

The CRB check done on me when I was at my old college isn't much help to me now that I don't work there, so I thought I'd get one done on myself so if anybody asks if I have got one, I can say yes.

I've found out that you can't actually check yourself, so I'd have the paperwork to show anyone who was interested.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Hi, Paul.

I'm putting (gradually) all ofour tech crew through via the County Council CPS team, and they're being very helpful about it. Yes, there's usually a fee, but at the moment they're being done for us under the 'Matron' scheme at nil cost. (Couple of the crew not TOO happy about being matrons, but what the hey!! :D)

OK - ours are goingin on behalf of the theatre, other groups doing them under their company 'banner' but aslong as you can get a local sponsor, I can't see why you couldn't go this route also.

If you've not come across the matron stuff directly, I've got several explanatory pages on our web site - might be worth talking to the EastAnglian CC rep to see what they can do for you....

TD

The whole system seems to be a bit of a mess, in that each specific 'employer' has to get a separate check done. I'm working with some people on summer camps who are teachers and have done stuff with churches, unfortunately they have had to be checked three times, rather wasting resources.

I'm working with some people on summer camps who are teachers and have done stuff with churches, unfortunately they have had to be checked three times, rather wasting resources.

The teacher bit might bear some investigation....

Anyone here who's an LEA approved teacher is excused the need for a CRB check, as they have anenhanced check done regularly through their school. I knw this for a fact as I'm married toone, and she's done matron work for panto on this basis.

TD

AFAIK Every person must be disclosed for each role / organisation. The reasoning is that sicne all past offences are given (spent or otherwise) on the report. If you are applying to be a kids club helper, your fraud conviction may be of no relevance, but if you apply to be a group leader it will be. The CRB check does not indicate your suitability for a post, it merely informs teh decision reached by the orgamisation asking fro the check.

e.g, I know of a person who has a past conviction for indecent exposure (urinating in a public place whist drunk as a student in freshers week). This same person aged 35 was allowed a role working with children despite the conviction because the organisation requesting the check said it was a) a one off event; b) 17 years ago and c) there was no otehr convictions.

Officially anyone have contact with children or vulnerable adults should have a normal disclosure, and anyone who works unsupervised (or is ever left with kids and no otehr adult in the room), or is in overall control should have an enhanced disclosure.

The CRB scheme isn't really designed for individuals or charitable organisations but, in my time working with a youth drama group, our local county council was willing to help by running the checks on individuals we nominated. They didn't even charge us.

Bob

When you apply for an enhanced disclosure through CRB, a copy of the report its sent to you as an individual and another copy is sent to your employer. However, these two reports are not necessarily the same. For instance, there maybe an investigation going on about you, that you are unaware of, but that it would be important for your employer to know about. This is why if you are working for several orgs, you are likely to need CRB checks for all of them, and also the reason why you cannot check yourself.

The trouble is, all these systems can't cope with short term problems. I have the info sent me when I had the advanced crb check when I was teaching. Trouble is, people have now heard of the system, and use this example - I walk in the stage door on the day of a dance show - instantly attacked by some old witch who says who are you? I tell her. You can't come in, she says, you aren't on my list. So what I really would like is a badge - at least something official looking that says a recent date on it and proves to these people that I'm not a problem.

If you are freelance, it is unreasonable to expect the venue to check everyone coming in. How about shows like the Chuckle Brothers? They move into a venue each day, full of kids - do the visiting crew need each venue to crb them - this couldn't work - the venue would simply have a list of names that may, or more likely may not be those of the people who turn up. Crews change, PA companies often suddenly change their freelancers who are subbing to somebody subbing to someone else.

A totally daft system. The current mess, to me, seems to only cater for circumstances when danger is the least. A stranger in a dance school production stands out a mile - a touring show is totally different, nobody knows anyone!

A system where everyone could have a 'badge' in the form of an ID card makes a lot of sense. It seems to be working for security staff with the licenced bouncer system. I really thought it was possible to check yourself out - that's what surprised me. I don't even mind paying. How strange that it isn't possible. Perhaps we could do a Blue Room system. We could pay the BR via paypal, the BR do the check and send out the info in the post - maybe with a nice ID card with the info on? legally, that would seem ok to me.

While I see that it is a pain when you are collared by 'some old witch' why do you want to be checked? You should only require checking if you are going to be in charge of the little darlings, surely something to avoid at all costs.

I have costumed a couple of shows with children in and 1 with a large number of vulnerable adults, at no time was I checked but I was always accompanied by at least one person who was when I was in direct contact with them. This was as much at my insistence as that of the companies running the projects but I did not what there to be any question either of improper behaviour on my part or that I was in any way responsible for the participants.

CRB have just undergone a system re-work, with regards to applying for CRB checks.

Previously, an organisation could apply to become an umbrella organisation, which would allow you to countersign the application, check through the ID etc. (I suppose acting as a middleman for CRB) - but this cost each organisation. Which did work better than the current system, although there are faults.

Now unless you can process 100 CRB checks each and every year, you can no longer be an umbrella organisation, in reality not very many organisation can process on average 2 a week. Again prior to the changes org's wouldn't charge an admin fee to process the application, but now on top of your application fee £36 (Enhanced) you would also have to pay in the region of (£15 - £25 admin fees).

Applications for voluntary staff doesn't cost, but that is ONLY for volunteers.

What I tend to do with Freelancers, is see there CRB check and then you can apply for a research on the CRB number, which is much quicker to process. I also understand it's not an ideal world and freelancers/projects maybe landed on anyone with a very short lead in time.

All I could suggest is you look for an umbrella org, I think there is a search function on the CRB website, or make enquiries with your LEA.

In response to the the Blue-room processing the applications, (people are only really going to accept CRB checks) is for the blue-room to become an umbrella org. Which generates two problems:

1) would 100 be processed within a year?

2) How could you manage to countersign forms, you need to see the person in person, to validate the form, and seeing as the members of the forum come from all over the UK. Someone from Newcastle isn't going to travel to Portsmouth to get a form checked.

Just my thoughts on a huge problem.

Lee

You should only require checking if you are going to be in charge of the little darlings, surely something to avoid at all costs.

As far as I know - it isn't being in charge that is the issue, but the level of contact. At my old college, technicians who come into daily contact with students didn't need the same level of check as the teachers who permanently work with them.

I'm more concerned with people like stage crew for dance shows - suddenly having to lift one out of harms way, fitting radio mics. The presence of a licenced chaperone doesn't really offer much support. My savaging from the 'door keeper' with the list was no doubt meant well, protecting the kids - but how do freelancers prove suitability. After all, you could get your check done, then have a 'problem' - and still have a piece of paper. It just looks a bit of a mess to me.

I was in a school recently - there to check they were assessing correctly. The teacher and I had been chatting and as we walked out, a group of kids were 'playing' music. The teacher said that the bass player was having real problems as she hadn't been playing long - could I give her any tips. So I sat down and spent 15 mins with her going through some basic techniques. Should the school have even allowed me into the building? Should I have been able to do what I did. I suspect the answer should be no - but it is such a mess to get right?

As far as I know - it isn't being in charge that is the issue, but the level of contact. At my old college, technicians who come into daily contact with students didn't need the same level of check as the teachers who permanently work with them.

Paul,

I've fired off an e-mail to my contact at Warwick CC to ask if she has any suggestions/options. If and when I get a response I'll post here as I'm sure it'll interest many people.

TD

Archived