Criminal Record Bureau Check

paulears

I have never had a CRB check whilst working backstage, even when I have been working with the professional company. I am also helping with a church group, for which I am having to get a CRB check done, although it will be paid for by the church as I am helping voluntarily.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never had a CRB check whilst working backstage, even when I have been working with the professional company. I am also helping with a church group, for which I am having to get a CRB check done, although it will be paid for by the church as I am helping voluntarily.

Churches fall under the same umbrella as schools where people working with young kids HAVE to have a CRB done, but it does make you think why many other organisations are not asked the same thing. And although I can see the point of view about the whole it'll only show you if they've been taught, at least its something to start with. I unfortunatly have a little blemi

sh on mine for an action I did when I was drunk (plant pot placed on a cars bonnet as a joke - they didnt see the funny side) but I explained it to my employees before the CRB came through and they st

ill accepted me. Maybe if it was GBH or something they wouldnt have, and this can only be a good thing

As for supervision, the "non-teaching staff" union recommended that their members did not spend time with people "one-to-one" - but this was more to do with the risk of false accusations which sadly happen withor without a CRB.

Has to be said I was told the same things with the words "unfortunatly it'll be their words against yours" and so now I will make sure im not alone with a student. Its all a bit wrong to me <insert rant about modern society> I know a guy who runs a synchronised swimming team and has to ask his own daughter who is on the team and 17 whether he can touch her when helping her.

And I know that Paul originally asked for details of how he can get one, which I can see has been answered. But I would like to point out that in this culture of blame where an individual can do something and someone else gets the blame for "how was he even allowed to be there", in the words of a certain shop - every little helps.

Steve

edit: apologies for the strange line changes - im using 'opera' web browser which does this sometimes!

Churches do not HAVE to have volunteers working with children CRB checked. It is recommended, and is best practice, but there is no legal obligation. The only legal obligation AIUI, and according to Social Worker friends, is upon places where children have to be - School, Hospital, Social Work, and not upon places where parents have a choice whether they send their child along (e.g. a Sunday School.)

I know of at least one church which has chosen not to have any of its childrens workers CRB checked, as they feel that it would not be right for some members of the church (the appointed person who receives the CRB report) to know more about a person's background than that person is willing to tell. I think that is a ridiculous position, but they have chosen it, following discussion and debate within the church. They also feel that as a church which is part of the community and known locally, they do not need to be CRB checked as it is part of the modern society blame culture (as alluded to by others above).

It is sad, but IIRC 90% of child abuse (sexual / physical / verbal) is done by someone known to the child, and 75% by family members (although defining family in some circumstances can be tricky).

Promoting a safe church

Policy for safeguarding adults in the Church of England

The guidance provides a framework for the safeguarding of adults, including recommended structures for the investigation of allegations of abuse by local authorities

Ensure rigorous recruitment practices to deter those who actively seek vulnerable people to exploit or abuse, including taking up references and using CRB checks

Thats taken from the c of e website from the policy regarding safety of adults (here) crb is also mentioned heavily in the childrends version (here)...just the quote wasn't as good. As a policy of the CofE it has to be taken up by all its churches. So thats the CofE taken care of anyways

Steve

I had a CRB check done by the school prior to me starting work and then had to have another one done for working with kids at church as the certificate is only valid when working for the named registered body. I know some people that have over six certificates.

For the other societies that I'm involved in we have avoided CRB checks by having a child and vulnerable adult protection policy in place which we get agreed and signed by each organisation we are working for.

You cannot get a CRB check on yourself. (could your own LTD company I wonder) Some Trade Bodies have been able to get them.

The problem is that in principle the checked person must be out of the loop of the checking. The employer (inc for volunteers) must, with permission, seek the CRB check either directly or through a head office. That way the subject of the check cannot interfere with the integrity of the system.

The subject of a CRB can speed things up for a second check by mentioning the reference of a prior check.

By the time people get to 40 most have had some brush with the law and the employer receiving the CRB report has to make a value judgement

Just because its not something you'll get arrested for, charged & locked up for, doesn't mean its not a 'brush with the law'.

Maybe he means something like a speeding ticket.. Indeed not the worst and most heinous crime to commit, bits its still a crime under UK law.. Though yes, I do understand its not something you have to put down when asked do you have any criminal convictions.. Unless it says 'including traffic offenses'.

Just my 2cents. Tom

I can't speak for your standard CRB but for counter terrorism/security clearance for sensitive locations IIRC they include all motoring offenses apart from parking and speeding. That's not to say you would get kicked off a job if you had been caught for something minor but it would have to be disclosed and assessed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to get this back on topic.

The CRB check done on me when I was at my old college isn't much help to me now that I don't work there, so I thought I'd get one done on myself so if anybody asks if I have got one, I can say yes.

I've found out that you can't actually check yourself, so I'd have the paperwork to show anyone who was interested.

Has anyone found a solution to this? It does seem odd that the only way you can be checked out is by a prospective client doing themselves - and that isn't a simple thing as the rules mean they have to do quite a bit of work to make it happen.

As we work with quite a few dance schools and panto groups with kids, we thought we'd get ourselves checked out for the same reasons as Paul above and we came across the same hurdle but since reading this thread I begin to wonder how does the proprietor or principal of a private dance/stage school go on.

In a normal school the head/principal would be checked out by the LEA but in a private operation there would be no-one above the proprietor/principal so what happens there.

Also, if a Company are producing, say Oliver, where you have numerous kids, does the whole adult cast have to CRB checked?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the problems in this thread will be dealt with by the new scheme with a new body called the ISA (Independent Safeguarding Authority). I found out about this because I work with youth in St John Ambulance. The ISA scheme will vet individuals and provide them with a registration that can then be checked by subsequent employers.

6. Reducing bureaucracy

Once an individual is ISA registered, subsequent employers can check their status online free of charge (unless they are under a duty to apply for an Enhanced CRB check).

The ISA registration is aimed at people working with children and vulnerable adults.

The Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) has been created to help prevent unsuitable people from working with children and vulnerable adults.

Under the new system it appears that individuals can apply for registration and each subsequent employer can check them using their number online for free. They plan to charge for employees to register but registration will be free for volunteers.

More information is on the ISA's website http://www.isa-gov.org.uk/

I'm currently working at an adult college & have done for the last 19 years, and have been CRB'd, several times.

Prior to working at the college I worked at the RAH where we were PV'd every 3 months (positivley vetted) for security reasons.

I've also found out that one of the venues where my friends wife runs her dance school shows, none of the FOH staff have been CRB'd, but the whole Tech crew have.

If we technicians have to get CRB'd to work with Kids then why don't the FOH / Admin staff have to be?

Seems like double standards to me.

Archived