nexo systems

The Boogie Man

Simon any chance of elaborating on "no"?

The maths can get quite involved, but what you want to achieve is effectively a cylindrically radiating wavefront whose height is much greater than the longest wavelength you wish to reproduce. This will give the 3dB drop for doubling of distance, as long as the array is still long with respect to the frequency and listening distance.

If you want to make this from a series of small sound sources (in our case loudspeakers) then they should be ideally within 1/4 wavelength of each other. In the most extreme case - say a 20kHz tone - this has a wavelength of 17mm, which is too short a distance to place HF acoustic centres together.

Therefore, various manufacturers have come up with waveguides, reflectors or similar designs to try and a) produce a wavefront which is more cylindrical in propagation, and b) couples with the next box across its passband.

This is not easy to achieve, and the act of placing some loudspeakers together (especially when using standard symmetrical or asymmetrical horn configurations) does not constitute line array behaviour. It should also be pointed out that many line arrays do not actually follow the true acoustic sense of the term, but reduce the interactions from the point and shoot "exploded golfball" systems of the 80s to a sufficient degree to provide a much improved system.

Your PS10 or PS15 system will sound great (although you should listen or try them out first), but don't try and couple the top boxes - they are not designed to work that way!

Simon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm going to attack the Nexo's. I was at a large Beaver/cub/scout camp called frostie camp about 2 OR so months ago. The evening entertainment was in a huge marque with a stage at one end. The stage was lit by about 24 par cans and 2 mac 250's, which were strapped onto a pair of Ps15's, one speaker per side both with a MAc on top. As soon as I walked in I went back out again, the sound quality was absolutely CRAP, I mean really crap. I couldn't take it, went back to my tent and got my Er20 plugs and went back in again, which solved most of the problems, which would appear to be volume. So I went in and inspected the cabs, expecting them to be showtec or something like that. And there was the nexo name tag in the top right corner and the PS symbol on the bottom left. I think it had something to do with the vibration of the mac's on the cabs from the bass, which was affecting the sound quality. I'm sure of they turned them down slightly they would have sounded amazing, but it was not to be.

Oh and the reason I was at a cub camp was because I am in the Explorers, and we were generally helping out on the site, first aid and stuff like that.

HTH

Rich

I know the supplier of those Nexos, and they are powered by Crowns (not sure which offhand), and I wouldn't be surprised if the subs weren't used, in fact the fewer cabs in a cold damp tent the better from a suppliers point of view. I doubt the focus was on sound quality, but volume. I bet the scouts enjoying the music were more than happy, because it was loud.

Just guesswork. But having experienced a little of the scout camps there, I wouldnt have put a lot of effort into tweaking it either.

I have PS10's installed at my venue, and they sound amazingly good. In an auditorium that seats 300, I've never needed to push them hard.

I wouldnt have put a lot of effort into tweaking it either.

I would. but thats me, if one of my systems isn't sounding the best possible with the given room, orders and most important source material I am extremely unhappy! infact its unacceptable.

Its very much a case of how you use it as people have said there.

Rich, I understand you expect it to sound good, we all do, particularly with goods gear. But isn't it pretty good to think to yourself - you're not that old, and you could do a much better job without any effort?

I've heard one of my small vocal PA's (Thomanns THE BOX PA110's and a 12 inch sub from there too off 2 ep2500's) sound GREAT. no.. better than GREAT.

I've heard VDOSC and C4 sound bloody awful!

Dont attack the nexo's attack the users.

if I can't be arsed with a sound and leave it as it is sounding crap then I get complaints.....and I dont get complaints!

Rob

I would. but thats me, if one of my systems isn't sounding the best possible with the given room, orders and most important source material I am extremely unhappy! infact its unacceptable.

Usually I'd agree. But given the circumstances (400 or so scouts, cold, draughty, huge long canvas marquee, straw matting, done as a favour and with very, very little reimbursement), I can understand the priority being volume. Plus, it was probably connected to some sub-standard DJ decks supplied elsewhere on the cheap.

Next time you're there Rich, go and offer your advice, I'm sure my friend would be only to glad to let you tweak to your heart's content.

theres a difference between it sounding bad becasue the other gear in the chain (that may or may not belong to the people providng a PA) is poor and they are doing their best, and it sounding poor becasue they can't be arsed.

From what you say it looks closer to the first one, you can't get onto people if they are doing their best, be it with their personal experience and skills or with the gear provided.

As far as personal skills and experience goes there is of course a limit. not everybody is perfect at mixing every type of material, and everyone hears things differently and prefers to hear things differently.

The limit is where you can't put soeone behind a desk to mix a show if they are no capable of getting a sound out of the PA which is useable. Its not a personal attack on any such person just the fact a job needs doing.

Rob

Right chaps, In my mind It's sorted.

for size, weight, ease of set up and "my" requirements I think it is going to have to be a set of ps 10's and their own amp with the controller built in. I'll still use my bass cabs for below 150htz.

It wont be for a while so now I'll keep my ears open for people using them or if they come up cheep enough on ebay I'll get some, ha, ha. If you all dont snap them up first.

Cheer to everyone for their input.

Now, ( well you didn't think I was done did you) can someone point me in the direction of a thread on here that may explain

"understanding a room" I'd like to learn how to make sense of what differences different room shapes make so (in time) when I walk into a room I have an idea of what it will sound like, before starting.

cheers

baz

When I bought the PS10's I found the dedicated amp to be the expensive option. Probably the best option for easy setup and ease of use, but the PS10 controller and a couple of amps cost less.

can someone point me in the direction of a thread on here that may explain "understanding a room" I'd like to learn how to make sense of what differences different room shapes make so (in time) when I walk into a room I have an idea of what it will sound like, before starting.

Read this carefully.

there will be a test ;-)

Right chaps, In my mind It's sorted.

for size, weight, ease of set up and "my" requirements I think it is going to have to be a set of ps 10's and their own amp with the controller built in. I'll still use my bass cabs for below 150htz.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. If you buy the PS10 amp, then you're getting an amp channel for an LS500 built in. If you use your own amps and subs etc then you're wasting this, as well as using inferior bass cabs. Would make more sense to me to sell your subs and amp and buy an LS500.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. If you buy the PS10 amp, then you're getting an amp channel for an LS500 built in. If you use your own amps and subs etc then you're wasting this, as well as using inferior bass cabs. Would make more sense to me to sell your subs and amp and buy an LS500.
Sorry, I meant use my stuff for now, unless the numbers come up of coarse :)

I'ld agree with earlier posters and advise a demo before parting with that much cash. Nexo makes very nice boxes, but their asymetric horns can prove troublesome in some situations.

It sounds like you are after a system with great sonic quality. Is your heart set of a Nexo system or are you open to Ideas? If so, you might want to give similar systems a listen to. My money goes with the Fohhn Xperience systems AND I know of a bloke on the Isle of Man who could do you a demo. PM me if interested...

Steve

Archived