nexo systems

The Boogie Man

Boogieman, it seems that no one is giving you a truly straigt answer, so I will.

I have 2 PS-15's and two LS1200's -- they are both powered by 2 Camco Vortex6 amps. Labs are great, but ohhhhhh sooooooo expensive.

In short, I love the ass off of my system. It blows the spots off of everything else I hear others using. However, as I am sometimes forced to use in house systems, it depresses me at how they suck compared to the Nexos.

In short, you will thank yourself for buying the Nexos everytime you play out.

I absolutely love them

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It blows the spots off of everything else I hear others using.

I'd like to remind you and everyone that every piece of gear has its place, if it didn't it wouldn't be manufactured. Not a complaint or criticism just a reminder.

The local Duo who play in the social clubs Hisys2's have their place.

My Thomann special PA110's have their place, as does my Martin Wavefront 8 gear. As does your nexo gear, as does Marks Q1's.

The reason we are not giving a straight answer is because there isn't one at this stage.

you can't just sell your stuff put a bit of money to it and buy said nexo rig cos they're great.

It seems the OP's system needs to be setup gradually as money becomes available (this is usually the case). he wants to buy a pair of PS10's and a amp/controller and then save up some extra cash to get better subs later.

All we are doing is laying out the good and bad points of doing this, or any other way of doing it.

To recap we've said you might find the subs struggle to keep up with the tops. this is only temporary. We've also spoke about a wasted amp channel, but its again, only temporary.

We could suggest the OP goes for a pair of Q7's and a pair of Q subs. it would be out of budget but we'd certainly have to have another look at them spots.

Nobody wants to give a straight answer as a)there isn't one and b) who are we to say what the OP should do. all we can do and certainly all we should do anyway is give advice from skill, ability, knowledge and experience on the products used and the situation the OP is performing in.

Rob (not a Nexo owner but a big fan)

Rob, while I agree with some of what you say, I totally disagree with you that there is ever a place for PEAVEY!!!

To be frank, I am sick of hearing people say that take a licking but keep on ticking, because when they go wrong there is little difference how they sound or work when they are operating properly. But I digress. . .

I wanted to give boogieman a --NON technician-- POV. I went out on a financial limb to buy my NEXO rig. since doing so, I have reaped the rewards. My rig fits EVERYWHERE!!! I used to use FBT's and EV's which were great for what they were, but the NEXO's have brought things to a new level.

EVERYWHERE I play, I am always getting comments from joe public about how crystal clear my sound is, how it seems loud yet we feel we could have a comfortable conversation, and how the sound is so level regardless of where you stand in the venue.

I have used my PS-15's in really small pubs and I have used it in a theatre that seats 1000. While I would have liked to have doubled my speakers in the theatre, it was plenty loud and oh so clear.

TO conclude, any and all gear is expensive. However, buying cheap when you are a performer keeps you at a certain level. I bought until it hurt and I have never looked back. I love the NEXO's and they are without a doubt the best investment I have made IN MYSELF and MY GIGGING.

I am appalled BTW that you would put PEAVEY and THOMANNs in the same sentence as NEXO, but that's me// :D

P.S. ROB, the technician advice you guys give has bailed me out of alot of situations and I am humbled by the knowledge found on these boards.

Just to make sure that no one misunderstands.

Drowner, please don't shout, it hurts our ears.

We can read sentences properly without capitals in there.

While I'm not a moderator, I respect them and their rules and I'm sure that in the Terms and Conditions of this forum it says something about "please do not use capitals" or something.

Anyway, Rob has some v good points and yes there are places for Peavey and Thomann gear. I have some peavey gear, I don't like it, but it works and sound comes out of them.

I am disinclined to agree with you that your Nexo PS fits everywhere. It might have fit everywhere you have played so far, but one day you could find yourself stuck. And what about a venue fit for 10,000 people? I'm sure you'd prefer something else for that job.

I am appalled BTW that you would put PEAVEY and THOMANNs in the same sentence as NEXO

But I also put W8 and Q1 in the same sentence.

If Peavey doesn't have a place, then why is the company still going and doing very well for itself?

I personally hate the stuff and dont use it, but this is because any system I can make up from my own gear uses better quality components. I therefore have no reason to use it, someone who can only afford a pair of Peavey cabs on sticks, or worse still those that are told by a bloke in a music store that they are the best thing going for the money (they're not) have to use them.

When you say you get positive comments from Joe Public, I believe (from experience of said positive comments) it is more a case of people who are into "sound" that will give you these comments. By this I do not mean sound engineers or musicians, just people who have an interest and a knowledge of sound. They may only be into hifi or home cinema.

"Joe Public" (again this is from experience) tend to notice bad sound when it is, too loud, too quiet, can't hear the vocals, too much bass. They class a harsh sound as too loud.

To me, the fact you get positive comments shows that you are doing something right!

I have had very positive comments from a Touring engineer when using a pair of my PA110's, mixing from stage left. he said he expected the worst when he saw the PA (or lack of it) but was not only pleasantly surprised but also highly impressed with how clear the vocals were through the PA. he also mentioned he'd heard bands using larger rigs costing 20 times the price for the speakers alone which sound very poor indeed.

Rob

Mr Si, let me APOLOGISE most sincerely for the caps on the points I wanted to highlight. I was not shouting..

Anyway, when I said that the PS15's fit everywhere that should have said everywhere I have played, However, should the occassion arise where I am headlining a 10,000 seater I'll use ps 15's for monitors and see about getting a Geo system.

Rob, Peavey is going well because everyone south of the Mason Dixon line seems to use it because it is "American Made." Also, kids buy it, as do the holiday parks who allow their accountants to determine what kind of sound sytems they use.

For me, "Peavy makes sound" is about the nicest thing you can say about it.

Speaking, as an American, I would gladly see Peavey go the way of Rover and the Edsel, but anyway.

Rob, believe me when I tell you that regular everyday folks, not just Hi Fi sound lovers, give me those comments. They do notice the difference. THey don't know why, but they do.

And as far as me doing something right, I have to tell you that most of the time my EQ is virtually flat for most of the venues that I play.

I am not familiar with the W8 or the Q1, which is why I did not take umbradge to it being mentioned with the NEXO.

I have tried, Turbosound, Meyer, D&B, and HK. All were great, but the NEXO has something about it that makes it special..

Now please, gents. Before there are any hurt feelings, my views on Peavey, while genuine, are meant in good humour.

AFAIK there are no hurt feelings :)

for your info W8 (and more recently W8C) is the large Concert touring system from Martin Audio.

Q1 is the compact line array system from D&B.

neither come cheap, neither as cheap as the nexo's which is why I mentioned them (along with brands much lower down the charts than the nexo's) to show everything has a place.

Holiday parks and peavey are a perfect match it seems. It is possibly why we turn our nose up at the brand so much. Yes they are budget grade cabs, but usually alot of holiday parks do not keep the systems running properly which makes the sound even worse. This is from experience touring holiday parks with named acts. I'd say 1 in 100 had an in house system I would have been tempted to use. and that was probably only because it was upstairs :D

I would hate to think that my next comment would offend anyone, it is certainly not meant to, it is merely something I've been thinking about (as have many of us no doubt). this wont apply to everybody, but it may provide a general view.

People who buy nexo, d&b, martin, turbo, hk, meyer, opus, Thunder Ridge, ev, l'acoustic, any other high end brand of gear generally do so because they need GOOD gear if not better. They need this as they tend to have a job to do which requires a good sound. They as a technician or a musician mixing themselves on stage will be experienced enough to get the best possible sound.

On the other hand people who buy cheaper gear, Peavey, behringer, and the thousands of unknown brands that are around, are probably less experienced in the world of sound.

So, not only is the gear or a lesser quality, their experience is limited too, meaning they may not get the best sound possible from what they have.

It is therefore possible that many people on here (let alone the millions of public) have never heard a peavey , behringer , soundlab, skytec, The Box, SW, AC Euro etc etc PA used to its full potential, whereas hearing 4 stacks of C7, or 4 stacks of Q light by fully trained engineers the difference in quality is larger than it would be with the same engineer on both rigs (be it an experienced one or one that had a hifi seperates system when he or she was still at school).

For soundlab to produce a cab similar to the PS15, they'd have to alter a cabinet design, and alter the drivers. they'd probably come out with a cab that cost around £3000 a pair!

Rob

ROB, I should have guessed that it was Martins that you were on about from the logo under your name :D

I believe that Butlins at minehead uses Martin Audio, and I must admit their system did sound excellent.

And you are correct about the parks, as I am one of the poor souls who sings at them for a large part of my living from Mar to Oct, I know.

Peavey is what most of them have and the vast majority of the parks have little kids who say "I'm good at sound" because they move a fader with a cheesy smile and a thumbs up. But truth is they are woefully trained, if at all and the systems are usually in disrepair or are part of a Frankenstien set-up.

To be fair, I have played in one place where they had their PV system cranking, but that was the only one.

SorryBoogieman, this has gone off topic.

Anyway, while I would certainly tell you without reservation to buy NEXO, I did try out all sorts of P.A's before making the decision.. YOu should too before making that uge financial committment.

A very valid point Drowner. Boogieman see if you can hire a couple of different systems in.

Going OT.

Centre Stage at Minehead (and Bognor) use Wavefront 8, it is a really nice system. 4 stacks a side in Minehead and 6 stacks a side at Bognor.

I'm in Centre Stage at Minehead with my band every wednesday night.

For your information Reds at Minehead have JUST had the new Martin mini line array installed. I've not heard it yet (think its being wired up this week) but it should be pretty good.

I've been looking at the mini line array myself, I know Minehead are interested in my current W8 gear to add to their currently OTT system in Centre Stage :D

Rob

How dare you all highjack my topic about pa's to talk about err pa's :D Only kidding :P

A big thing that has come out of this whole discussion, is that whatever gear I have now or aspire to use in the future, It will all be for nothing if time isn't taken to learn and experience the capability's of any system.

I took everything I've got down to a local scout hall last week and just spent the whole day plugging things in then a/b ing everything.

Found out a few interesting things. The sound I started with was the roads and the bass cabs split with a x/over.

I wondered about the idea of the tops getting just a full range sound. So I took the x/over out. A lot louder and to my ear a lot nicer. It may be technically not as good, but it sounded better. The bass cabs were able to then just be used to add a bit of umph without muddying the sound.

The room was perfectly square with solid walls and a wood floor, oh I had some fun setting up howlaround then moving the cabs till it eased ( or got worse )

at the start I was getting to half on the desk and full on the amps. by the end of the day I'd managed to get to full on the amps and 3/4 on the desk. all by working the eq on the desk and then on the graphic. and when I couldn't get any more volume I worked on splitting the sound up between the roads and some smaller cabs I've got and managed to get the same perceived volume at less volume. All just for the fun of it. The only downside? I'm now completely deaf and when I close my eyes at night all I see are faders and XLR jacks ;)

I took everything I've got down to a local scout hall last week and just spent the whole day plugging things in then a/b ing everything.
What fun! I'll bet there are lots of us who just wish we had the time to do the same at whatever level we do this! :D

Archived