'Fencing' off Lighting stands

I have a production coming up in a hall in which we have two T bar stands at the back of the room. There will be a stage at the front with dinner tables filling up the remaining space.

Last year the tables were spaced too far a part and ended up almost against the lighting stands causing people to have to step over the legs to get round (a bit of a H+S disaster). To avoid that this year I thought it would be a good idea to fence them off. However if I use chairs it looks a bit naff and people could trip over them as well.

So I was wondering how other people avoided people tripping over them.

(note to mods, I didn't know if this was the right forum as it is a Lighting issue as well as a safety one, Please move as appropriate)

Can you afford to hire some rope barriers (like they use for creating cues etc in banks).

If that fails, some rope, star pickets and large metal bucets of sand. (star pickets have three 'surfaces' and are used for erecting fast fences) Hammer them into the sand, and tie rope to it.

Personally I wouldn't like to use star pickets (I googled them) the look kinda weapon-like.

They do hurt - that is why when you have them in your venue, you look at them and go "Oh sh!te that would hurt if we were to fall on them" then grab a rag and pad the tops.

Those wondering: http://www.made-in-china.com/showimages/111/400017012/0/Star_Pickets.jpg <- Star Picket

The image is a tad odd, but they pointy end goes in the sand, and the holes are used as anchoring points.

Have you tried looking in either the screw-fix catalogue or maybe somewhere like cut price, for that cheap and nasty plastic fencing? there plastic mock ups of picket fences about two foot high.

this would stop people and its quite aesthetically pleasing?? :P

Thanks for the replys. It is a school and therefore all the tables will have a layer of chewing gum on the bottom, thinking of the rope barries I could always use mic stands to do it. I have no budget so buying anything in is out of the question.

The main reason for asking is I was wondering if there was a proper way of doing it.

Anyway the event is on March 11th so I will let you know what I did in the end.

At Uni we usually used 'cattle barriers' - freestanding fencing segments about 2m long that latch onto each other, as used at many outdoor events as crowd control.

They aren't cheap, and not easy to find - the Union had a load for general use, so we'd borrow a few as required.

Have you got any Rope Barriers or Tensabarriers, the sort some schools use to separate out dinner queues? They will mark it off visibly but won't stop anyone who wants to get too close doing so.

It is a school and therefore all the tables will have a layer of chewing gum on the bottom,

But if you arrange them on their sides as suggested by Paul, the undersides will be on the "inside", and so not visible....

• 1 month later...

Archived