'Fencing' off Lighting stands

We usually make up some small flats to surround the bases, these can be felted in any colour and joined to each other via L brackets. Made from 2x1 as a frame they are cheap, light and easy to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to resurrect an old thread instead of starting a new one. What do Health and Safety say about T Bar stands, I have heard that you should leave enough room around the base of them so that if they were to fall over then nobody would be in the way. So say your T bar ended up at 2 meter's high, then from the centre of the stand going out (radius) should be I guess just over 2 Meters. Is this so? Sounds logical to me. If it is however, where do you stand if you were to ratchet strap it to a pillar, or some other immovable object?

Many Thanks

I find it a tad excessive to tell the truth - The major benefits of T-bar stands are that they can be errected to provide lighting in tight spaces relatively easily. I mean 16m^2 is a large area (20 seats roughly)... I usually fence off at 1m a side. That keeps the feet out of the way. Provided you weight the base properly, you will find it extreamly stable. If there was the chance of wind or something hitting the stand, then I would take a closer look at securing the stand or extending the perimeter

On a related subject, I am still to get a good answer to a question about torque loading on lighting stands.

Doughty Club 35 stands are rated at 25kg SWL, but surely that is with the ~250N force (an engineering approximation of g=10m/s/s) vertically down the middle of the vertical tube.

If, while rigging, I hang a single Source 4 36deg (8kg) 1m from the stand, that results in a torque load on the vertical pipe and a visible bend. What is the safe working limit when it comes to torque loads, or should all loads be balanced so as to avoid a torque load? (what I try to do when I am rigging). Any ideas?

I've thought about the same problem with my two rear-projection screens and projectors, especially after too many drunks were shadow-dancing between the projectors and screens Saturday night.

I'm liking razor wire or an electric cattle fence, but will probably have to settle for these.

The screens are either side of the stage, so I only need one on the outside of each screen. They are expensive, but so are my projectors and screens. (Or will alcohol-fuelled morons ignore them anyway?)

Archived