Positivity

Bryson

I thought I'd start a thread where we could record all the positive things we notice - rather than just winging all the time as we are somewhat wont to do these days. :blink:

So, I'm going to start the Ball rolling: I did a show in Colchester this week, (at the arts centre, opposite the back of the Mercury) and I'd like to sincerly thank the staff of the Mercury for bearing with me and letting me use their lovely workshop for my pointless tasks I needed to do - all this, for a show at a different venue. Lovely people.

*Group Hug*

Thanks, I'll go now...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to continue on the positive theme - I mean everything is pointing in the right way - I had a new OSX G5 delivered at work - all the chance to play with it... liked OSX and started thinking about my new audio laptop being an apple rather than a pc.....

But then I discovered how v***y I********g OSX can be. and I am now not as impressed... :blink:

Sorry I'm OT already.

You see, the problem is that everyone else in the theatre world thinks that we spend our entire life complaining about stuff..I'm attempting to prove that we are positive sometimes....aren't we?...just me then?

Um Had a good gig on Saturday, The lighting was almost in before the soundcheck, the band only lost 1/4 their soundcheck for being late, the organisers only failed to arange anything for the first 45 minuites after the house opened before the band came on..... and they were a hip hop band.

positively well em got new saftey lines installed last week so we can rig from our foh bars saftley,my olny complaint was they wouldt let me have a leather studed harness.

o and I got a new job by the seaside ;) less money, but set off against less stress,cheaper cost of living ,nicer neighbour hood . o I do like to live beside the sea side :blink:

I had a job returned with cables nicely coiled, fitted into the boxes. A true rarity for me.

Also I have had some great help from a few of my suppliers dealing with last minute orders generated from last minute jobs.

Also it looks like the M.U. might allow me to play the triangle again. For five minutes on Christmas day on location in France. Which is nice.

Alright the last one is total false but I am still warm inside after secretly joining in on Brysons group hug earlier.

Nice and easy show which finished on Saturday. 7 LX cues (up and down at start of Acts 1-3 and 1 change of state in the middle of an act) and 6 sound cues. I actually had time to read the script. And really nice FOH/Catering staff who brought me a cup of tea at the interval :) I could get used to that :blink:

Oh and this weekends gig, I get paid in money, food and beer ;) :( :P

I did a show in Colchester this week, (at the arts centre, opposite the back of the Mercury) and I'd like to sincerly thank the staff of the Mercury for bearing with me and letting me use their lovely workshop for my pointless tasks I needed to do  - all this, for a show at a different venue.  Lovely people.

*Group Hug*

Thanks, I'll go now...

I have slightly less wonderfull memories of the arts centre, as I knew it as the venue for compulsory weekly church parade when I was at boarding school in colchester in the seventies - so I can certainly applaud its current use and wish it well. I have great memories of the mercury as the scene of my first "professional" experience as a schoolboy extra in "Forty Years On" in about 1975 I think. No particularly heartwarming experiences yet this week, but they still come along regularly enough to keep me keen after all this time at the grindstone....

(I should say that I was able eventually to come up with a good reason for absenting myself legitimately from compulsory church....)

I should also say that I doubt it's the same staff that I met as a teenager, but I'm glad the tradition of being really nice is still maintained.

Oh and this weekends gig, I get paid in money, food and beer

Ah I see you are using the pounds, pies and pints exchange.

Works well unless you over do it with the pies or pints.

Ah, that's the joy of this gig. Four bands to light; so program up a dozen chases and a few looks into the Frog and I can busk it from there. Don't need to de-rig for a few days so I don't need worry too much about a thick head on Sunday. I'm told that 4 kegs of IPA are being brought in :blink: ;) :(

I am continuing to be positive a reasonably quiet day after a very busy time and it is less than 30minutes until I finish work. Or really work for me has finished a while ago because I am on the Tinternet. So it is less than 30 minutes till I leave the premises. :)

Just done a gig where during the get-in everything seemed to be going wrong; one of the amps died in a very spectacular way, a couple of the multis were too short, half the staff didnít turn up and I had been asked to create what I thought would be the tackiest effect ever, basically it involving lots of mirror ballsÖanyway it went amazingly well, the mirror balls didnít look tacky (well not to bad) and we have completed the get out by midnight. Beat that :blink: ;) :(

I had one of those "I'm glad I'm a sparks and not a chippy" moments a few days ago .... we were taking a show out of the Alhambra in Bradford - great crew, but everything comes out on a big goods lift upstage left, so that slows it right down. Electrics were done and dusted by about 3am .... not too bad in the circumstances. Discovered the next morning that the chippies didn't finish packing their last wagon until 8am - only an hour before the first wagon was due to start being unloaded at the next venue. :blink:

I love working with things with plugs on! ;)

I love working with things with plugs on!  :blink:

when I last told the workshop I only work on things with plugs on the glued a plug to the back of each flat and told me they were my problem now :S

Mercury - we've toured there 3 times in the last 18 months, and on the first two occasions, I heard reports of how lovely they were. I took the show there myself last time. Half the population of Colchester (or so it seemed) turned out to unload our van (with a similar tunout for rigging and focussing), and when we broke a lump of set, it was whisked away, repaired and returned before you could say "lump hammer". Sadly, we're not playing there on this tour. Very lovely people indeed. Though I've heard rumblings that they face stiff competition from a certain Council-run venue in Croydon this year for the title of "Best Supporting Non-Actors" in this years' "Hall of Technical Touring Inspirational Excellence" (HOTTIE) Awards.

On another positive: I had a whole day today in between seeing a run of this show for the first time last night, and not having to rig it until tomorrow. That's a good 24 hours longer than usual to design it! Less positively, the 24 hours in between were my day off :rolleyes:

Archived