The Importance of Good Spelling & Grammar

:( - Split from work experience trouble

thank's for the advice djw1981

I will try and fine some more smaller local companies

I am trying to avoid wear house work as I spent...

Sam, this is a point touched upon earlier but if you want ANYONE to take you seriously in ANY industry (well, almost any) then you really want to start to learn that it's not always what you say but often how you say it..... Which applies most certainly to the written word too.

Your posts so far in this thread have mis-spells, poor capitalisation and would not inspire many an employer to give you a second look.

Sorry if this sounds a bit teacher-ish, but that's the fact.

Other than that, you seem to be aiming at the right sort of target in your list. just remember that many a work-experience is most likely to give you the most menial tasks available at the time. Not because the guys you'll be with don't care, but mainly because they'll be busy doing their job and may not have the time to train you to do a specific technical job as if you were an apprentice. Take what you can get, don't push too hard and see what else you can pick up along the way.

TD

To emphasise the point made by Bryson and Ynot.

There are thousands of young people in the UK who want to work in the entertainment industry who can spell and who use grammar and capitals correctly. I will always place these people at the top of the list for interviews when I need staff/assistants; everyone I know does the same. You are harming your chance of employment.

However, you are not alone. This is an excerpt from an email I received today from a first year undergraduate student:

"....I'm in your, XXXXXXXXX group. I was just wondering about what excatly needed to be handed in on the xxxx06 for xxxxxxx. I'm not sure if you remember but I spoke to you earlier last semister because I had missed the moving light workshop. Due to my previous experience you said it should be ok to have missed it, however my colleges inform me that the moving light work book"

HOW CAN I GET THE MESSAGE THROUGH?

NO SPELLING CHECK + NO GRAMMAR = NO JOB (or NO MARKS)

Cheers

Ken

PS: Before anyone starts, I am perfectly informed about disability rights and their relationship to dyslexia.

Sam, I know you may think we're being pedantic here, but we had a poll last year asking if people thought capital letters were important or not. A staggering 93% thought they were. You chose not to use them and then wondered why you weren't getting positive replies to your e-mails.

Perhaps you can now see that using I instead of I can make the difference between getting work and not getting work.

Perhaps also you could indulge us on these boards and use them for us too! Thanks.

I'm in the correct spelling camp, but even the sometimes wierd spellings and lack of grammer and punctuation have nothing on what I found on another site.

My old school was stupid enough to allow themselves to be used in the second series of Rock School - apart from the obvious media emphasis on how dreadful a school and town it is, channel 4 have a forum.

If you want to see how bad it can be - then this is a good place to be amazed. Both my kids can read it perfectly well, which perhaps dates me a bit.

That said, if people post on the Blue Room, then as has been said, the opinion of 93% of us should be taken into account.

Seeing as how this topic has migrated a bit (even by the moderators) I shall contribute my thought on the subject of spelling and grammar.

I also believe it is important. I have a young assistant (14) who helps me out with some of the technical stuff I do. His written communication to me by e-mail is generally written in a 'text' style language. Seeing some of this creeping in here prompts me to think that the young people involved do not know where the line should be with formal written communications and informal 'texty' chat. I can generally understand it all, but it takes a bit of work.

I am quite happy to accept that language evolves, and should really accept new words and structures as they appear in the Oxford English reference works, but it does take some getting used to!

I am minded to remind my assistant that correct language is also important in some situations

Jason

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this topic from 2 years ago, but today I got an email as follows:

To whom it may concern

plesae send me any information on any technition vacencies/apprentiships you mave now or in the near future in ligthing or sound as I have expriance in both of these felids at ***** collage were I am at currant and nearing the end of collage I have attached my c.v .

looking forward to hearing from you

I make that 13 spelling and at least 3 punctuation mistakes in the space of one short paragraph (plus 7 missing capital letters), including being unable to spell the words for the job he wants ("technition") the type of job ("vacencies/apprentiships"), the area he wants ("ligthing") and where he's been studying ("collage"). Does he really think I'm going to give him a job????? ;)

Love that spelling of the word technician - for two years I noticed a colleague use the same spelling on their timesheet. Unfortunately their skills at times matched their spelling.

To whom it may concern

plesae send me any information on any technition vacencies/apprentiships you mave now or in the near future in ligthing or sound as I have expriance in both of these felids at ***** collage were I am at currant and nearing the end of collage I have attached my c.v .

looking forward to hearing from you

Archived