Help sourcing a FOH system to buy

Mr.Si

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem is Jim that 15" subs don't work for me and they never have!

Any one got any opinions on EV MT4?

It's very big, very heavy and not the best sounding system compared to what's on the market today. Thats my opinion of working with the stuff though I have never mixed through it. If you want a reasonably portable system that you don't need four crew to stack then I would suggest looking at something different. Maybe a second hand Turbo Floodlight system?

Any one got any opinions on EV MT4?

I'm not quite following the plot here... you want a rig for ~ £5k that covers 10m - 15m, is used with jazz + rock acts and you're asking about 4x18" bin used in the 80s and 90s for arenas and sheds ? ;-) A single MT4 stack weighs over 300kg and isn't exactly portable.... Is this for an install or portable system?

yes, the MT4 is a mighty bass bin, still used in many rigs, sometimes with upgraded drivers. The originals had 600W units in, but I understand up to 1200W drivers are fitted. The last time I worked with these boxes was some 15 years ago, when we hired in SSE to do a job at the NEC.

BUGS still have 16K of MT2 (very like MT4 but with half as many drivers by all accounts) and use it regularly. It's primary ditingishing factor is that it is F###ing loud! In my capasity as a lampy I can more or less only repeat what the noise boys have said and that is that it sounds reasonable but there's better out there. And in my capasity as one who moves it even MT2 is amazingly heavy (Even the base cabs shouldn't be a one man lift, in fact in theory they should be 4) and thats only MT2 so I dread to think what MT4's like. I believe that a rival venue, with which we have some links brought up the last of SSE birmingham's MT4 a while back.

EV claimed 140db @ 1 metre from 2 stacks. (MTL4 and MTH4 I think they were named). this is a peak rating. so we may be looking at 134db as a continuous rating before we take anyhing else into consideration.

I will admit I've never knowlingly heard this stuff used actually. the comments I have heard about it have not been as good as you may imagine. I think john sums it up. Its loud but thats about it. Although 2 stacks for peaks of 140db of this "level" of gear can be acheived without too much difficulty. I think the difficult part is sourcing things second hand.

Rob

Hey,dont shoot me!Im just looking at all the options!

Thanks John for suggestion flood I like it alot so if I could find and Amp 2 stacks in my budget Id be laughing!

But Im open to all suggestions that meet my criterior!

:) - Commercial content removed. Please refer to the Advertising section of the Terms & Conditions for information on how to promote your business via these forums in an acceptable manner. We seem to be saying this rather a lot at the moment :mods:

Josh

Back to the EV debate - I love the sound of MT4, though its not transportable. The MT2 subs sound ok - I heard a copy in belgium once with a rebuild inside and B&C drivers and they sounded much nicer though - its still unmoveable stuff though - handles are all in the wrong places etc....

Just as a little aside on this is your boss at Network the same guy that is MD at Cray Acoustics? Might be a relevant fact to take into consideration.

Anyway if you're after some very well looked after 2nd Hand Floodlight I know that Marquee Audio in Shepperton have just taken on an entire system and might be up for selling a few stacks. Thinking about it the majority of it has 21" subs which makes a very corporate, discreet set-up. Think they might also have some 18"s aswell. All has transit covers so it should continue to look good for some time

Just so you know

Furry

That is correct yes though we use a number of systems other than Cray for our gigs that out of preference I would always take out a Cray System myself.

Having friends in the industry working on some of the major tours currently going on, they have said that cray is right up there with the L'Accoustics and D&B systems which they use proving to me that this is in no way a weak option.

:D - Horrendous overquoting removed from two posts ;)

Archived