Live8 - Technical

Hi just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the technical side of live8.

All ive found out is that there is a team of 2000 roadies working on site. (shame I couldnt be one)

Just wondering if anyone knew anymore ? what companys are responsible what equipment is being used that sort of stuff.

Many Thanks

John Partridge

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God knows as to who is providing it (Bandit maybe? Neg Earth? PRG?) but from pics in the paper there seems to be some Mac 2ks (wash 'n profiles), good old 6 lamp bars, HES Studio Colours, LED battens of some description on the front of trusses to name but a few things.

If you saw any of Channel 4's coverage of the O2 Wireless Fest it would seem some of the rig is staying over from that.

A far cry from the original Live Aid's Parcans a-plenty, VL1s on booms and various other bits 'n bobs.

Stu

Ye, I saw that my babys ;) (mac2ks) were being used.

I also saw alot of pixeline battens or equivelent so I think their will be alot of LED useage.

From what I was told the wireless stage was built infront of the Live8 stage (whilst it was being built)

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this.

Anyone else got some news?

John Partridge

I was somewhat amused to see in the Times this morning that the total lighting power was 275,000 KW. I hope that was a mistake, or should I bring some welding goggles? Imagine the generator you'd need for that one.

On a slightly different (although still technical) note, my dad reports that there's a 350-extension telephone system on site, and that they expect to make 30,000 phone calls during the event, which slightly bemuses me.

From just reading this I don't think that any numbers / facts can be right until Sunday Im sure there still playing about with it. If there is 2000 roadies working it then im sure www.roadie.net will have at least 1 working it.

There was a nice little map of the site in our local rag today, but could someone explain what is the difference between the smaller prebooked tickets area and the larger area behind. I though all the tickets were meant to be prebooked/ reserved by this texting thing??

Sam

I was somewhat amused to see in the Times this morning that the total lighting power was 275,000 KW....

According to Channel 5's factoid section in today's news. There will be 54 tonnes of overhead lighting on the main stage. ...

Paul

Hmmm... That should help to knock a hole in the ozone layer, shouldn't it?

Oh, yes, they are a "one issue" bunch aren't they?

They have the Gold Circle which I think they are letting normal ticket holders in but they are doing a text vote on day or somethink.

I believe also they are using the same Stage as the wireless testival, I persume this same stage is staying put for all the other concerts ie Queen etc. This is what they normally do every year, is build a stage then each show just brings what they need in, I have a couple of years ago worked on Party In The Park and also Bon Jovi down there.

Their seems to be quite abit of exagiration going on at the moment , I think the press are doing it to hype up the event even more.

If those facts are right then I think the contrast and brightness should be turned down on all your Tv's !!! and protective goggles should be issued.

John Partridge

I think its the worst idea ever personally, raising awareness- who bets that there will be a survey in a paper next week where most young people who attended don't even know what the thing is raising awareness for or know anything about the G8 Summit etc.! Its not actually raising money for Africa, its a massive PR stunt and I think its a dreadful idea! Geldolf deserves all the problems/ flack hes has off the press etc.

[/mini rant]

Sam

There was a nice little map of the site in our local rag today, but could someone explain what is the difference between the smaller prebooked tickets area and the larger area behind. I though all the tickets were meant to be prebooked/ reserved by this texting thing??

Yes, basically, the normal tickets were won through the whole lottery thing. Then there are the "Gold Circle" tickets, which are for corporate hospitality and competition winners (and cost something like £600 each to buy). They get their own compound, about 60m deep, in front of the stage, so the closest any normal punter can get is 60m from the stage.

No alcohol is on sale in the normal arena, only in the gold circle. Apparently this is for "safety reasons", because "nobody has done an event this big before" (which is a complete lie, who knows what their actual reasons are).

This really should have been a multi-stage event, 150k people watching a single stage is excessive (some would say dangerous).

I just heard the number of 30 tonnes of sound and light in hyde park so 54 could well be all the events together. O and madonna wants a 6 hour sound check.

The Times said 30 for London.

Archived