Christmas Lighting

Dweeks

well, why not just get a usb-DMX dongle, a heap of cheap switch/dimmer packs, and program away?

Personally... very nice show, but it would get tiresome very, very quickly. Must be horrible being that guy's neighbours.

Also, where the hell do people get the power for all those lights? They're not drawing much each, I know, but surely it all adds up?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, where the hell do people get the power for all those lights? They're not drawing much each, I know, but surely it all adds up?

If you get sad and read the planetchristmas forum, you'll note they have a thread somewhere entitled the 400 amp club. These people have paid to have their incoming mains connection upped to 400A from the normal 200A (more accurately, 2x200A rather than 2x100A). So they have a total possible load of 44KW, but lets assume they want to run a house as well, certainly over 20KW is possible...

I love the way it gets its power, wonder if youd be a happy uses if you unplugged one of the 2 13a plugs powering it?

I thought we decided we shouldn't attack ebay items anymore. :)

Anyway, the guy states that the unit has two electrically seperate groups of six circuits, one group powered from each plug.

Sorry Guys...

It looks fake to me. My Son (simon) put me onto the video link.

The small trees give it away for me... There are a lot of them in front of the lower right hand side of the house. When they are off you can see straight through without interfearence. Look at the perspective of it. hmmmm

Also what I dont get is... if this is real... its fab. Actually if its fake... its fab also!

But, if it is real them why do we only have such a crappy low res version of it?

I am going to guess that anyone that can make that and do FM braodcasts to the local community is going to have a better way of getting media to the net......

Cheers

Mark

Time to break this down:

The small trees give it away for me... There are a lot of them in front of the lower right hand side of the house. When they are off you can see straight through without interference. Look at the perspective of it. hmmmm

They are probably fibre wireframes, so minimum obscurity.

Also what I dont get is... if this is real... its fab. Actually if its fake... its fab also!

But, if it is real them why do we only have such a crappy low res version of it?

Well the simple answer is bandwidth. Hi Res=High bandwidth requirements. Now if you are DLing it, it usually matters little, but when you are paying (ie) $1 a gb UPLOAD - which is a conservative price from a data center, some are $10-$15, things get expensive. I cannot remember the size of the movie, but lets say it was 10mb. 10mb x 10,000 downloads is a hundred dollars. Now that is a lot to show a short movie, but not over the top. Now lets say it was about 25mb, that is $250.

Hi-Res, it could be a hundred megs - $1000. Now for something that would generate no profit, that is a hell of a lot to shell out.

Then there is the chance that they did not have a video camera and used a webcam, which would certainly explain the quality.

If, for example, that movie was slashdotted, the slash dot effect would (appart from overloading the servers) cause upwards of a million downloads. A 1mb movie would then cost a cool $k

Sorry Guys...

It looks fake to me.

The shadows and illumination of the house from the lights are extremely realistic.

I see no reason to suspect that "Wizards In Winter" is fake.

Top that off with being able to visit the forum where he explains how it was done.

I think it might be easier to do for real than to fake!

Why so low resolution ... that's simple. It's 4Mb in size If it was 40Mb in size (or more) I wouldn't have downloaded it! ;)

There are also very few cameras that would take at all at those low light levels.

:rolleyes: Post edited to attribute quote to the correct person.

Archived