Christmas Lighting

Dweeks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder how he controlled that! :** laughs out loud **: :)

There's commercial software and hardware out there specifically for controlling Xmas lights from computer, the first two that come to mind are Dasher and Light-O-Rama. It's a bit in your face and flashy for a christmas lighting display, but I'm sure it could look nice with some decent programming.

Possibly just taking footage of it in varis lit stages and making a movie from them?

Nah- I'd say it's genuine. Otherwise it would taken too long to be worth it...

(Not that programming that whole show was worth the time taken to program it.)

Pretty cool though.

WOW!

http://members.cox.net/transam57/lights.wmv

Hows that for Christmas lighting! Love it! Wonder how he controlled that! :** laughs out loud **: :)

He probably controls it from one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MASSIVE-light-contro...1QQcmdZViewItem

It can do ANYTHING, Batman...and all from only 2 x 13amp sockets!

:D

Bob

Some of you guys have got altogether too much bah! humbug about you.

I think its fabulous.

As to how it was done, my money is on the whole thing is controlled by relays, no dimmers (where there are some sort of dim efffect, that is just a few strings of lights physically parallel), and driven by a MIDI port on a computer, and music and show is delivered from a MIDI sequencer. Total cost lest than a couple of days hire of a Hog.

It probably also took less than half a day (or more likely, evening) to program, with most of it being done in real time on the keyboard (ebony and ivory, not qwerty) in one take, and then tarted up on screen.

Bravo to the nutters, long may we continue :** laughs out loud **:

Oh, and the really neat mover effect from the window - I think thats just lots of strings of fairly lights from the window to ground...

I think this may be the actual house in the video. it goes on about the computer control as well. Interesting if u have time / can be bothered to read it . I can't, bar humbug till December!

It says they send the music to the display over FM radio so people can listen to it in their cars so they don't upset the neighbours.

Archived