Which Lighting Desk?

Benj

I'm looking for a lighting desk that will programme moving lights and generics simultaneously i.e. fade in and out together etc etc. Needs to be user friendly and be easy to teach 16-19 year old students. Got about 5K + VAT. Any ideas? I heard the ETC Expression 3 is supposed to have quite a good moving light function, well so they told me at the ABTT show?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say go for one of the Zero88 Frog series. Not sure about the price, however they meet all of the requirements that you stated above.

What is the intended application? School/Amdram/???

David

It's for a college doing A level Theatre Studies and BTEC Perf Arts. So mainly theatre, but we've just built a new theatre (in the round) and I've purchased some movers 6 X Mac 250 Washes and 2 X Mac 550's therefore really looking for something that will comfortably and easily run both types of lighting. I've got a Fat frog, but never used movers in theatre with it yet! Would it be capable of programming fade times on both generics and movers as one command or would I have to programme them seperately?

Hello Tim and welcome to the Blue Room.

First of all, you may find this thread useful in your decision process. (Edit: I took so long to reply to this that we are now in it I think!)

Answers wise for your post, I have 2x Expression 3s at work and to be really honest, while it's an easy desk to use generics wise, I don't find it very powerful for moving light programming and it's quite a headache. I find that there isn't enough macro buttons to hand (only 5), not enough focus points / reference groups / pallettes (99), no LTP preset on submasters to mention a couple of things. I'm not a fan of how that if the moving light has 20 channels, it takes up 20 channels on the screen. I prefer how the 500 series gives each mover a channel number (which selects the mover as a whole I suppose) and then makes every function a sub channel so dimmer is .1, first colour wheel .2 etc. Certainly makes the screen tider when your not working on the movers...

The Strand 300 or 500 series is much easier (and more powerful) for moving light programming and it also has the added bonus of having 85% penetration in UK theatres so when your students leave, and perhaps go onto a venue, they will already have a good grasp of the desk which could be very helpful for them (while the ETC Expression 3s have recently been specced for new builds, rightly or wrongly, they still aren't out there in the numbers that the 500 series are...).

I believe from posts made by other users of the forum that the 300 series isn't quite so feature packed for moving lights (even tho it is perfectly possible and useuable) so you may find the 500 series is more what your after. However the 500 series is over your price level so this may work against you.

The Zero 88 Frog series is very popular in smaller theatres, schools, amdram venues etc and for what it is and how much it costs features suprisingly good moving light software. Again not my favourite, but it is popular and there are good reasons for this. However if you have anymore than 96 generic channels then it won't be for you as this is the maximum you can control on the desk. There is the Illusion 500 (here) but I have no experience of it or how much it is so can't help there.

As normal, contact your favourite dealer and see if they can help with a demo desk for you to use and see which one you prefer, or most manufacturers should be able to help with training sessions etc.

Hope this post helps, good luck with your purchase!

Stu

You should take a look at the Compulite Dlite as it was designed exactly for your market and fits exactly in your requirements of features and budget. Don't want to go on to much about it on a post, but take a look at the info on our web site and if you want a demo let me know.

I have had quite a good play with dlite and it is a nice (quite affordable) desk that would suit your application however it is not used as widely as the 5x0 series so as Stu mentions it may be better for your students to learn son a desk that they are more likely to encounter in the real world.

Sam

I have had quite a good play with dlite and it is a nice (quite affordable) desk that would suit your application however it is not used as widely as the 5x0 series so as Stu mentions it may be better for your students to learn son a desk that they are more likely to encounter in the real world.

Sam

That may be true, although as the Dlite is still a very new desk it is still early days, it is also a fraction of the cost of a 5x0.

Sam

That may be true, although as the Dlite is still a very new desk it is still early days, it is also a fraction of the cost of a 5x0.

I have to agree with Andy on this one, The 5xx consoles have been around for a very long time and are being superceded very quickly by more powerful consoles, if you are looking for a new console then by a new console.

Archived