Which Lighting Desk?

Benj

Hi,

I have 3 grand to spend on a new lighting desk. Generic mainly with the option of some movers/scrollers etc. It is to be used in a college so I need something powerful yet user friendly. I am playing with the idea of Jands 408, Leap Frog or ETC express. Does anyone have any other ideas? Also has anyone used any of them a regular basis? If so can they shed some light on the +/- of them?

Cheers

Ben

I notice this is quite an old thread that someone has resurrected, so I don't know if you are still looking for a console.

At the risk of being moderated on for trying to sell my wares, it is worth taking a look at the new Dlite from Compulite - when I say new it is due to start shipping in a couple of weeks with the first few in the UK going to colleges.

Dlite was developed as we found there was a gap in the market, there weren't really any consoles around that offered a good combination of all requirements. So Dlite incorporates straight forward two preset manual control, 20 siubmasters, a fully featured theatre style split crossfade playback, touch screen and full moving light capability at a very attractive price.

At the end of the day it is always difficult for anyone to recommend a console to you, you need to evaluate your requirements in terms of what features you need, whether you need a printer, off line editor, etc., then look at what is available and make a choice - it is always up to personal preference and one person's greatest desk will be another person's worst!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gareth is making MAJOR sense here.. Look at this picture - what's lurking in the background? So there isn't really an excuse for anyone at this uni not knowing how to work a 'industry standard' desk

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/LIPA.jpg

well well well, im glad I looked at this site. This pic would appear to be of my bag, book and drink, during one of my shows at Lipa Sunday in the Park With George I think. well I'll be.....

The Hog III is a good desk, I much preffered the Hog II, before High End asked for it back.

But as I graduated last year, I have come to realise that while the Hog's are really good toys, (and in my opinion great theatre desks) in the real world, Strand is at the Helm, I really hated coming to this theatre. because of the 520i, but its growing on me.

I dont blame anyone at LIPA or any other Uni for wanting to use the good kit, but you ought to have a play with the other desks, as it wil be unlikely u will use the hog in a theatre.

Now who was messing with my stuff then.... :blink:

But as I graduated last year, I have come to realise that while the Hog's are really good toys, (and in my opinion great theatre desks) in the real world, Strand is at the Helm, I really hated coming to this theatre. because of the 520i, but its growing on me.

In a way, I think that paragraph bears out what Paul and I were saying. You studied at LIPA for 3(?) years. They supposedly gave you a good education in the nuts and bolts of real-world technical theatre, but (possibly because of the rose-tinting of sundry pairs of student-sized spectacles due to an unfeasibly large amount of High End Systems kit being thrown at the college by people who have caught on to the fact that students of today are the equipment specifiers of tomorrow) you didn't really appreciate until you graduated and left the college environment that the real workhorse desk in today's theatres is in fact something that's quite definitely not a Hog3!

I wonder how many other LIPA graduates have found themselves ejected into the big wide world after graduation, and discovered that their Hog3 programming knowledge stands them in very little stead when they find themselves sitting behind a far-more-commonplace 500-series for the first time?

Note : I'm not casting aspersions regarding your programming abilities, Crudge - just making a general point.

Previously you mentioned:

Whats interesting is that no one has metioned the JANDS which when I was shown at Plasa seemed a good desk for the price?

The Jands Event 408 is a very capable console. It has all the advantages of a simple two preset console that a caretaker could use plus a comprehensive moving light section for more demanding applications. The moving light section is palette based with full Group & ICBF functionality. It features fan (3 modes) a great little effects engine plus the standard Event flexible playback style. It's a great console for multi purpose venues where a structured theatrical cuelist playback is just as important as multiple chases, lots of faders and a big moving light section will be for a live concert. It is a little more expensive than some of the other consoles you mentioned, but it's touring quality, fits your budget and can do the job.

If you have to wait for the money, then keep an eye on www.jandsvista.com. We will be launching the PC/Mac software version of the console in a few months. The starting price may be as low as a few hundred quid for a 128ch software only version. We plan to offer up to 2048 channels and will also have a USB hardware console available in the Summer.

By the way, AC Lighting is the UK Jands dealer so my comments may be seen as biased!

Regards,

Glyn O'Donoghue

glyn.odonoghue@aclighting.com

• 2 weeks later...
Another option you could look at would be the LSC Maxim range - I've been using a Maxim XXL for 18 months now and am very pleased with it. It's very easy to use & has no really annoying quirks.........unlike so many other desks....... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A very good pc desk is the DMX creator from VXCO. the 1024 ch version is around £800, plus a pc and to really make it easy to use a small fader wing that can be made up form a small DMX desk. free software is on www.dmxcreator.com

I have installed 3 of these and tour with one with no problems.

Second choices would be the jands 416 or the shadow

I would go for the JANDS event 408, as Glyn said. I been working with it for nearly three years and not yet had something I couldn't do on it, Our venue is multipurpose and the desk handles everything from basic theatre plotted style to making it up as you go for live rock gigs. The multiple stacking option is wonderful for shows with different sections and even different operators to have their own stack. Our venue is a theatre within a school so has to be able to cope with lots of different styles and it is so easy to use that we can let yr 7 students operate it and begin developing their interest from a very early age as a two preset and as their knowledge progresses we can teach them the other control options. As a multipurpose desk I dont think you can beat it. plus you have tetris for boring times. If only it had the original music...

• 4 months later...
Very soon I will have a new theatre with 6 X Mac 250 washes and 2 X Mac 550's, plus about 40-50 generics, the theatre is predominently in the round. I need a lighting desk that can cope with generics and movers very well and be easy to teach student (16-19) The desk needs to be able to fade movers and generics in and out smoothly (together) as one single comand i.e. one push of the GO button and needs to be user friendly, easy to programme and reliable plus an added bonus it would be nice to have visuliser software. Anyone have any ideas?

:D

Very soon I will have a new theatre with 6 X Mac 250 washes and 2 X Mac 550's, plus about 40-50 generics, the theatre is predominently in the round.  I need a lighting desk that can cope with generics and movers very well and be easy to teach student (16-19) The desk needs to be able to fade movers and generics in and out smoothly (together) as one single comand i.e. one push of the GO button and needs to be user friendly, easy to programme and reliable plus an added bonus it would be nice to have visuliser software.  Anyone have any ideas?

How about having a demo of a Strand 520i or 300 desk. Contact your local dealer or Strand Lighting Ltd to arrange a demo and remember that Strand desks comes with WISWYG console edition :)

How about having a demo of a Strand 520i or 300 desk. Contact your local dealer or Strand Lighting Ltd to arrange a demo and remember that Strand desks comes with WISWYG console edition  :D

Hi Kenny, welcome to the Blue Room...

It would be good nettiquette for you to have added a note saying that you work for Strand lighting, and that "of course, other comparable products from other suppliers are also available..." or something like that :)

Cheers,

Bruce.

Moderation : we've merged a new topic into this old one because it was asking essentially the same questions. Before starting new topics, could members please take the time to search the archives to check whether their question has been asked and answered before?

Very soon I will have a new theatre with 6 X Mac 250 washes and 2 X Mac 550's, plus about 40-50 generics, the theatre is predominently in the round.  I need a lighting desk that can cope with generics and movers very well and be easy to teach student (16-19) The desk needs to be able to fade movers and generics in and out smoothly (together) as one single comand i.e. one push of the GO button and needs to be user friendly, easy to programme and reliable plus an added bonus it would be nice to have visuliser software.  Anyone have any ideas?

Have a look at the BlueLite X1 from Innovate Show Controls. It does exactly what you want and it currently offers an educational discount for schools and churches. Native support for Capture (Visualizer) was just added in the latest release.

Dan

Archived