A-level Results Tomorrow...

Ace - hey - hold onto your hats for a minuite

My fiancé is going to start her PhD at the end of next month. She has NO support at all - that is no funding to do it. She has to pay all her tuition fees, with no support from any funding body. Her parents are going to have to lend her the money to pay the fees, She is obviously going to have to work all the spare hours that are available, and obviously I am going to help out as much as I can - on top of the mortgage, student loan and struggling to make my small pa/lx outfit make a profit... Oh and we have to budget for a wedding next year...

So yes I apreciate you have it hard - you have to look after yourself - but looking at it from the outside I am shocked that there is no support at all for those students who want to research - accademicaly are able to do it and for some reason didn't get funding this year

Sorry it realy is the difference between getting funding and not that irritates me at the moment -

Seriously, nothing at all personal in this...

Peace,

James

Oh yes - she didn't get any supory for her first three years undergrad - nor her last year of postgrad which she funded entirely herself.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm.... we've opened the great Higher Education Funding Debate, have we?

Ok, here goes:

I was lucky. I finished my degree £10,000 in debt. I pay £230 every month to pay that off. And I think that's kind of OK, in a way. Probably not so much in my (our) case, but most graduates of degrees (and by extension, postgrad qualifications, only more so) end up getting paid more (on average) than those without.

But having that big lump of debt hanging over you is quite terrifying. I wholeheartedly support a graduate tax system, based on how much support you've had, for the tuition aspects of higher education. It would be much fairer, overall, and would avoid the problem of all of our graduates in society being so far in the red, that their finances look terrible for many years to come.

So: Graduate Tax is my answer to the problem....more opinions?

I don't fully understand the graduate tax - are you implying we can have our fees payed now, and then pay them back through a tax? If so, this sort of happens anyway, for poorer families. If your family income is below £20k then you can qualify for full (means tested) fees assistance as well as up to £4000 loan to cover living costs. Over £20k and you don't get the fees, but you do get £3000 for living costs. This is all then payed back out of your salary once your salary reaches £15k/anum.

Is this what you meant?

Ah A-levels that takes me back (only 11 or so years ago mind!)

The worst feeling was when I did my C&G 2360 exams 4 years ago, when it had been 4 years since I had sat any kind of exam (only had a couple of exams at uni), Part 1 is only two multiple choice papers but part 2 is two, 2-hour work-out-the-answer question papers including one on Science! I did not enjoy that at all.

So

Best of luck and hope it all goes well for everyone

nahh they cant be, the pub doesnt open for another 15 mins...

I think that alot of the results come out at 10.30 or 11.30 so most people will have not yet got them, im sure we will hear when they do

Well I got:

C in Physics A-level

C in Geography A-level

C in IT AS-level

and

C in Maths AS-level (last year)

So I'm off to Cardiff.  :)!

Congrats <_<

http://www.exemplas.com/about/139002_140_size.jpg

Stu

I don't fully understand the graduate tax - are you implying we can have our fees payed now, and then pay them back through a tax?  If so, this sort of happens anyway, for poorer families.  If your family income is below £20k then you can qualify for full (means tested) fees assistance as well as up to £4000 loan to cover living costs.  Over £20k and you don't get the fees, but you do get £3000 for living costs.  This is all then payed back out of your salary once your salary reaches £15k/anum.

Is this what you meant?

It is what I meant. The real difference being that you don't have a huge debt recorded against your name (just a percentage attatched to your salary) and that people who fall out of that bracket for poorer families don't have to pay out in advance for the fees. It's me who had the education - not my parents - why would they have to pay for it?

PS: Congrats to you sir.

http://www.trinzine.co.uk/smilies/usermade/cheers.gif

Archived