Scaff tube 50" screen mounts.

Now, I'm looking into such things as the Unicol fixings, but so far not found what I need. 

I have 3 50" screens to mount behind custom flats and planned to hang these using a vertical scaff pipe from the grid. So I need a sturdy scaff to TV mount bracket. It could be (usually is...) that I'm not using the right Google-Fu terms to find the right beasties, so any suggestions?

Posted (edited)

Piece of steel plate, or possibly even a couple layers of ply.
Four bolts into the TV, pair of half couplers.
Pre drilled steel plate available by searching 'vesa 400 plate'

Edited by Yorkie

We usually use an off-the shelf domestic wall bracket, and where you'd be expected to put screws into a wall on the back plate, drill the holes out if necessary and bolt a couple of half couplers on instead. I've attached a picture but it's not rocket surgery 

It does have the advantage you can hook the TV on separately rather than taking the TV weight whilst doing the bolts up.

When selecting TV brackets from Amazon/CPC usually the heavier package weights are sturdier... if it weights 500g it's rubbish.

image.thumb.jpeg.14fff92f313a7b444d1d0725dfeabb2e.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The UNICOL sameness linked is exactly what I used to hang a 60" from a girder (with a different top mount!).

I'd go with UNICOL, pretty indestructable and the confidence it will do the job and do it well. Maybe worth asking them to cut custom lengths if you need it, especially if you don't have access to suitable workshop/tooling to drill the safety bolt hole.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sleah said:

The UNICOL sameness linked is exactly what I used to hang a 60" from a girder (with a different top mount!).

I'd go with UNICOL, pretty indestructable and the confidence it will do the job and do it well. Maybe worth asking them to cut custom lengths if you need it, especially if you don't have access to suitable workshop/tooling to drill the safety bolt hole.

Only a hacksaw and file to deburr and basic drilling, I used to do it on site on a regular basis. The tip for getting the safety bolt hole lined up is to drill one side, put the tube in a fitting and line it up with the threaded bolt hole and screw the bolt in, then drill the other side through the fittings plain hole.

Oh dear that reminds me I came across one where the installer had lined the first hole with and wound the grubscrew in rather than the safety bolt hole, so drilling the second hole was way out of alignment with the first😒but worse installed it like it just hanging on one grubscrew and the other tightened and no safety bolt. One of our contractors even tried to tell us the safety bolt wasn't required and wouldn't fit them, even if a pole was pre-drilled.

My complaint with Unicol products is their sheer bulk, sometimes they'd double the side of a device. Quite often I'd find there wasn't the height above a suspended ceiling to get the fittings in and would modify to suit. However looking at it another way we know they are made well and don't buckle.

Edited by sunray

As others have suggested, my usual solution is an off the shelf wall mount and half couplers added to suit my rigging requirements. Unistrut can also be useful if tube and half couplers starts getting bulky.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TomHoward said:

We usually use an off-the shelf domestic wall bracket, and where you'd be expected to put screws into a wall on the back plate, drill the holes out if necessary and bolt a couple of half couplers on instead. I've attached a picture but it's not rocket surgery 

It does have the advantage you can hook the TV on separately rather than taking the TV weight whilst doing the bolts up.

When selecting TV brackets from Amazon/CPC usually the heavier package weights are sturdier... if it weights 500g it's rubbish.

image.thumb.jpeg.14fff92f313a7b444d1d0725dfeabb2e.jpeg

What we do . we have some for ladder and pipe. 

We actually got a fabrication place to make up some plates in same size for threaded m10 to carry the frankly silly 85inch screens 

4 hours ago, J Pearce said:

As others have suggested, my usual solution is an off the shelf wall mount and half couplers added to suit my rigging requirements.

Always a good idea if it suits the situation

4 hours ago, J Pearce said:

Unistrut can also be useful if tube and half couplers starts getting bulky.

For installations as opposed to temporary I've often had to improvise for a whole raft of reasons, such as space, loading etc.

Quite a few times I've ended up with dexion/drilling holes in plain Unistrut to suit directly into a projector/TV etc, far too many consultants designs don't make allowance for fittings/strength of the existing structure etc and of course by the time we get to site we find all sorts of other services have had similar problems and had to improvise into our allotted space.

For temporary work it has to be easy and quick which is very different. Of course safety comes before all of other considerations, both the the installer and the user including 3rd parties. Commercially produced products go a heck of a long way towards that.

8 hours ago, Ynot said:

Going with the standard bracket (Amazon supplied yesterday) and some half-clamps.
Cheers to those who've contributed 
😄

Sensible solution.