Method got rigging projector

mrtc

Hello

I need a safe method for rigging a Panasonic MZ880 at 180deg from a lighting grid, so it’s pointing straight down at the floor. It needs to be done by a single person in the air but someone supporting on the ground. 
many help would be much appreciated. 
thanks 

Those rigging frames are pretty well established as the correct way to do this.  Doubtless a single-purpose item might be feasible, but these things are meant for touring use to enable a multitude of rigging possibilities.  That rigging frame is in no way unusually large for this purpose.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bryson said:

Those rigging frames are pretty well established as the correct way to do this.  Doubtless a single-purpose item might be feasible, but these things are meant for touring use to enable a multitude of rigging possibilities.  That rigging frame is in no way unusually large for this purpose.

Yeah I get that.

The vast majority of my projector work  is permanent installation where Unicol seems to be a strong contender, that bracket looks vast in comparison and quite often we'd only use part of a Unicol system due to the bulk.

Having said this I do have just (but only just) enough experience within major touring rigs to know the different requirements.

EDIT: similar comments: 

Edited by sunray

You could use lengths of studding and right angle dexion to make a cage to support the projector?

It’s not light, so the cage would need to be sturdy. I have done stuff like this in the past. It depends on your competence to build it safe enough to be over people’s heads. 

I’d use two G clamps to hold it hanging from the bar, along with two safety chains/bonds. That assumes you can adjust the height of the bar or zoom. 

Last time I looked Unicol didn’t have any good options for straight down. I guess you could use one of their plates and a yoke, but you’d end up with a off centre weight that doesn’t want to hang nicely on the bar, and I suspect you’d have issues keeping the projector on alignment.

I guess you could make something out of dexion and stud, but it wouldn’t have the adjustment of a proper frame, and it might not ‘inspire confidence’ visually.

Rigging frames really are the standard solution here.

Stage Sound Services have frames made from 20x20mm box steel that are a little more compact. Most of these only have a standard yoke, but I’m sure their fabrication team could make one with a rear mount.

• Like 1