Plug-in Timer PAT Testing

Mr PeeBee

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 6:49 PM, James said:

Is it portable ? 

I'd suggest that whether it is portable or not has no bearing on its eligibility for testing....
The latest edition of the code of practice effectively does away with all of those labels we used to argue over, and simply says all equipment needs testing. If it's part of the fixed wiring installation, it should be tested under an EICR, if not, via ISITEE. 

Not sure why I didn't see this thread before, but a definite yes.
(I've tried to call 'PAT' 'appliance testing' for several years, even before the 5th CoP came out)

For me a mechanical timer would include a visual (including does it rattle - has anything broken inside), followed by earth continuity, polarity and basic functionality. A full test of functionality - determining whether it actually takes about 24 hours to rotate is generally outside the scope of the testing I undertake 🤣
I think I have previously failed an old one with removable tappets as they were all missing and it was therefore not functional as a timer

Edited by Yorkie