Excessive packaging

Fleeting

Good afternoon,

Having daily delivery's of all sorts of technical related equipment. I've just had a delivery of two replacement antenna's for a radio mic module. The box was 32x32x19cm. after discarding all the bubble wrap I was left with these. Not sure what was wrong with dropping them in a jiffy bag. Am I the only one that gets overkill packaging?

Ian..

Antenna's.jpg

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

I once received a large cardboard box, couriered from the US.

Inside was a large volume of polystyrene chips, and buried deep in the middle a very large Jiffy bag.

Inside the Jiffy bag was a polythene envelope, which contained a paper A4 envelope.

Inside that envelope was a piece of paper with a license code.

A code that they had emailed to me a week earlier.

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess that's better than a box of batteries, a pack of light-bulbs, a sheet of crumpled brown paper & an awful lot of air in a large box from CPC (they did apologise). I also remember a now-defunct Scottish installer sending an O & M manual (lots of A4 sheets in plastic wallets in a big ring binder) loose in a box big enough for 20 of them. A few of the plastic wallets survived, but not many.

I've had cables and other non items in bags in bags in bags in courier bags in recent months.

Tell you what's crazy - I'm 54 years old, when I was at school in the late 70's/early 80's I remember doing school projects about the problem of excess packaging. I'd say it's worse now that it ever was back then 😞

Not really “packaging” 

but we used to buy batteries direct from Panasonic. Just general C cells and smaller.
A 7 ton truck arrived and the driver was ages so we stood around for probably ten minutes while he searched and got more stroppy.

Eventually he found a card of maybe ten LR44s with a bit a paper stapled to it among pallets of batteries.

They could have just used a Jiffy bag.

I purchased 2 whip type aerials for a vehicle use, they are supplied in a vinyl/plastic bag which contained a 1.5 m of stainless steel and in a smaller bag a loading coil alum keys and adapter screws.

They arrived in the same van from 2 different locations; one arrived in a cardboard tube ~70mm diameter, the other in a box 1.2 x 1.2 x 0.45m full of polystyrene nuggets which allowed the aerial to be positioned diagonally. The box was badly crushed So I asked driver to wait while I checked it. Not amused until he saw what was inside.

I worked on an exhibition stand for HP computers about 10 years ago, we had 60 or so computers on site. They all arrived in their cardboard boxes on pallets.

So did the software licence which was a single sheet of A4 for each computer.

Each in it's own envelope..

each envelope in it's own A4 x 100mm carboard box..

each box in a larger box with polystyrene chips...

the larger boxes were stacked on pallets, then wrapped and fitted with edge protectors.

So 60 sheets of paper took up 3 or possibly 4 pallets...

• Funny 2

I have just received 2 deliveries from China;

Clear poly bag of 10 10mm LEDs in a logo printed poly bag. That and invoice in a plain white padded envelope with delivery postage/declaration, in a logo printed padded envelope, in a plain brown A4 padded envelope, in a grey poly bag and another delivery postage/declaration.

However, ordered at the same time from same supplier, both with stated delivery by 22nd Sept. Clear poly bag of 10 10mm LEDs and invoice in a plain white padded envelope arrived a good couple of weeks ago.

The other delivery today, 100 M3 x 6:Black Zinc Plated phillips Flanged Button Pan Head Bolts Screws M2 M2.5 M3 M4  - Picture 1 of 6plain brown envelope arrived containing 3 loose screws and an air gap for the other 97. I know which option I'd prefer.

Edited by sunray

On 9/14/2023 at 2:01 PM, xllx said:

So 60 sheets of paper took up 3 or possibly 4 pallets...

I once helped install some kind of machine tool many years ago, that arrived on a pallet as expected. Turned out there was a missing cable that was dispatched the next day. It, which was something like a D25-D25 about 50cm long, arrived in a jiffy bag carefully wrapped onto a pallet. Delivery driver didn't seem surprised and said it happens all the time.