Suggestion for 16 channel multitrack recorder

Muller_Light

Can anyone suggest a 16 channel multitrack recorder? 

16 analogue inputs (preferably on the rear).  16 separate channel recording.

Rack mounting (less than 3U).

Digital timestamped recording.  Solid state recording.

Preferably remote controlled (preferably ethernet), with as few knobs on the front as possible.

Reasonably rugged.  Installed in a vehicle, but operated when stationary.

Or could be a 16 channel digitizer that will feed into a separate PC.

Any ideas?

Would seem to be heading rapidly towards a Behringer XR18 (XR16?) hooked up over USB to a PC, as you can record all the input channels separately. If you install the rack box with the inputs to the rear, it has no knobs on the front at all!

But you would have to sort out the timestamping in whatever software you used on the PC, as the hardware won't do that for you.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the budget is, but there is always the JoeCo Black/Blue Box recorder range which are self-contained multitrack recorders with a variety of options for different inputs. They aren't cheap but have a very good reputation and pedigree. They also include additional timecode, MIDI and 9 pin control inputs as well as Dante and MADI options.

Allen and Heath and Cymatic also sold stand-alone 16 track recorders but these are now discontinued and I don't know if they handle timecode.

If you are happy to use a computer then there are a variety of potential solutions. Something like a Behringer UMC1820 with an ADA8200 would possibly be the cheapest way to get 16 inputs. In my setup I use an RME Digiface USB audio interface with a combination of Audient and Focusrite 8 channel preamps (plus an ADA8000 if I need more inputs) which has been very reliable and a 16 input setup would fit in a 2u rack although I use a 4u to allow for 24 tracks and space to keep the laptop. I've not used an XR18 but I've used the X32 for live recordings with no problems. You would need to use one of the inputs for timecode.

XR18 would work with an attached laptop (Mac is native multi-channel, not sure about Windows - always a pain with drivers). As suggested the rack kit can be installed back to front so you just have a blank 3U rack space (I've done this in lecterns where I don't want people fiddling). 

A&H Qu-SB would do direct to USB drive multitrack or USB B out, control via an iPad. But is 4U....

For most people, with a laptop, the cheapest & easiest method is usually just to get a multitrack interface and use a DAW.  For a cheap 16-in interface, it's hard to beat an XR18.

There are obvously the standalone options, but typically pricey, albeit tidy to use.  But hard to beat the bargain of a DAW & cheap interface.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions.

XR18 - does this enable all the input channels to be separately recorded?

I will look at the Tascam and JoeCo.

Commercial application (for people who normally wear camouflage kit!) so reliability more important that price!

On 10/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, Muller_Light said:

Commercial application (for people who normally wear camouflage kit!) so reliability more important that price!

It would almost certainly have to be JoeCo then. The people behind the company have been involved in professional computer based audio right from the early days.