Which digital mixer

Lord Patchington

I find SQ to be terrific value.  It's not the best mixer around, but it's clearly the best mixer at that price point.

The Soundcraft offerings are almost universally disliked over here.  The Midas and Presonus have their uses but are a Tier (or two..) below the SQ IMO.

The Digico S21 isn't in the same budget ballpark, is it?  I've always found the SQs to be significantly cheaper.  (Looking at my super secret price lists... S21 is close to 2x the price of an SQ6.)

3 hours ago, Bryson said:

I find SQ to be terrific value.  It's not the best mixer around, but it's clearly the best mixer at that price point.

The Soundcraft offerings are almost universally disliked over here.  The Midas and Presonus have their uses but are a Tier (or two..) below the SQ IMO.

The Digico S21 isn't in the same budget ballpark, is it?  I've always found the SQs to be significantly cheaper.  (Looking at my super secret price lists... S21 is close to 2x the price of an SQ6.)

When I bought in this space a few years back the SQ6 itself was about 2/3 the cost of a S21. If you added a stage box and Dante card the SQ, especially with the 48KHz boxes, worked out considerably less than half the price.

I didn't get on with the S21 when I tried it. I think it was mostly a personal preference in UI design thing so others will almost certainly disagree!

On 9/5/2023 at 8:47 PM, richard_cooper said:

I didn't get on with the S21 when I tried it. I think it was mostly a personal preference in UI design thing so others will almost certainly disagree!

Funnily enough, I came away with a similar sort of impression. Nothing that I could specifically call out, just a general dislike of the look and feel. 

Would be interesting to try an Avantis which is very similar hardware but different underlying software. 

On 9/5/2023 at 4:23 PM, Alec said:

An 11 year old design, but still perfectly functional - and CHEAP!

agreed - but now they're not as cheap as they once were.....

For me, the greater issue is the disposing of their sales and support network and selling from only one or twe box shifters.

• 1 month later...

Ok. So I bought the SQ7 and an AB16/8.

It took a couple of hours to work out but got my head round it pretty quickly.

Still waiting for the flight case from Swan Flight to arrive (only ordered it the other day)

Used it for the first time on a wedding a couple of weeks ago and all went very well.

Thanks to everyone whom contributed to this thread, all the statements were very useful in comming to a decision. 

No lets see if it will last 14years like it's predisessor!

• Upvote 1