Which digital mixer

Lord Patchington

Hi,

I have finally decided to take the plunge and embrace the brave new world of digital mixing for live performance. 

Just wondering I there is any particular desks to avoid or any good/bad experiences. 

It would be used mostly for events and live bands?

I've been looking at; 

Midas M32

Presonus studio/live 64S

Allen+Heath SQ6

So something around that price.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Anthony 👍

I'd suggest that a X/M32 is probably more fairly compared to the QU than the SQ. If you have the budget for the SQ then it's worth also looking at the Digico S21. I really like the S21 and find it a very powerful platform considering the size and cost.

I've not enjoyed a single Presonus desk that I've sat behind.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, J Pearce said:

If you have the budget for the SQ then it's worth also looking at the Digico S21. I really like the S21 and find it a very powerful platform considering the size and cost.

It's a console that has certainly interested me as I look at replacing my trusty Roland M480 (still a cracking desk - well worth looking at second hand, I've just outgrown it). My big problem with the Digico ecosystem though has been the lack of affordable stageboxes to go with them. It's like they brought out their budget desk and then just forgot the stageboxes to back it up. All other brands with 2 different price points of desk (Yamaha TF Vs QL/CL, A&H SQ Vs Avantis/D Live etc.) have kept a 2 price point stagebox setup too. 

I just need an SQ price point, 64 channel desk. It's that, or I'm buying two SQ's and casing them together! 

15 hours ago, cedd said:

It's a console that has certainly interested me as I look at replacing my trusty Roland M480 (still a cracking desk - well worth looking at second hand, I've just outgrown it). My big problem with the Digico ecosystem though has been the lack of affordable stageboxes to go with them. It's like they brought out their budget desk and then just forgot the stageboxes to back it up. All other brands with 2 different price points of desk (Yamaha TF Vs QL/CL, A&H SQ Vs Avantis/D Live etc.) have kept a 2 price point stagebox setup too. 

I just need an SQ price point, 64 channel desk. It's that, or I'm buying two SQ's and casing them together! 

Agreed,  the stage box is as much as the desk! A big put off.

There are various stage boxes you can use with the S21, at various price points. They're probably all more than the equivalent A&H, which makes sense as both Digico and A&H have the same parent company, and Digico is seen as the 'premium' brand.

Worth noting that you get 24 local ins on the back. 

Also worth consideration is the upskilling to get used to digital if you and other operators are coming from an analogue background. Touchscreens are a godsend but so are physical controls that will feel familiar during the transition.

We've just switched to A&H from Soundcraft and while we're loving the flexibility the system gives us one thing we're missing is the fader glow Soundcraft have. Knowing if you're in LR, a Mix, a FX send or in GEQ fader flip is obvious with the coloured backlit faders, not as obvious on Qu or Sq and has caught me out a few times. That said I wouldn't go back!

49 minutes ago, ninjadingle said:

Also worth consideration is the upskilling to get used to digital if you and other operators are coming from an analogue background.

+1

I've specified Soundcraft for a couple of installations for exactly this reason - it seems to be really easy to make the transition from analogue. Having a full channel strip worth of physical controls is also a big plus. 

It's a shame that they're not as ubiquitous as the X32 family. 

There's nothing wrong with X/M32 and, at the price, simply can't be beaten.  Although old and no touch screen, they have the benefit of ubiquity and a number of third party apps.  A few things aren't user friendly.  An 11 year old design, but still perfectly functional - and CHEAP!

For a bit more, SQ is better in most respects.  My favourite bits - 48 channels, fully customisable layers, easy routing, proper stereo in/out channels.  My irks - useless scribble strips, stereo/mono assignments not stored in scenes (and I know why A&H say they don't do this), the cryptic file structure they use on USB, charging for additional FX.  Mind you, I cringe to see some of the fanatical A&H fans, saying how brilliant their (rather basic) QU is, or how fabulous their SQ sounds.

I've hated my few Presonus experiences.

I would once have recommended Soundcraft VI, albeit not their lower desks, but Soundcraft seem to have given up these days.

Digico never seemed to find much love for S21/31.

With all that, at the budget the OP is talking about, SQ would be a great choice.