Cable ties for “rigging”

jackbsound

4 hours ago, timsabre said:

Not really.

With respect, yes it IS really.

Whether you're taping or zip-tying cables up anywhere near where people (staff) are potentially going to be or where the fire service may need to go in dark and/or smoke-filled locations, you definitely need to consider the possibilities of those cables (or any other fixings) coming down and hindering escape or firefighting.

Yes, it's all about assessing the risks at all stages, but you actually have to be honest and realistic when doing so.

1 hour ago, timsabre said:

Usually with tarps the eyelets rip out before the fixings fail anyway.

Yes I agree with that 

1 hour ago, J Pearce said:

It may often be preferable for the tarp to release than for the structure to fail.

I can't argue with that idea.

The particular tarp was a decent heavy quality product, it was recovered and examined by the event h&s then dumped under the stage. Basically the major damage by the lorry and removing it, was a big corner shredded, the roped edges and rope eyelets appeared fairly intact. When collected stage company said it was going to be shortened.

2 hours ago, DrV said:

That's just inadequate strength of fixing. Nothing to do with the fact that they were cable ties. Same would have happened with steel wire if it was thin enough.

Yes it was totally inadequate, just standard 5mm ties every yard or so for top and ends of a 30x10 or so heavy tarp. I agree that something will give if power is strong enough, beit fixing or tarp or frame.

1 hour ago, Ynot said:

Whether you're taping or zip-tying cables up anywhere near where people (staff) are potentially going to be or where the fire service may need to go in dark and/or smoke-filled locations, you definitely need to consider the possibilities of those cables (or any other fixings) coming down and hindering escape or firefighting.

So I’m intrigued what folk use to fix their cabling and tripe to lighting bars for production runs. I use Hellermann releasable cable ties and occasionally Advance electrical tape. Given neither are metallic fixings this appears unsatisfactory - since I’m not the type to wind cables of any sort around bars.

Interested what others do!

(For the record all luminaires and other kit are hung using the usual Doughty metallic hook clamps or trigger clamps with appropriately rated metallic bonds! No cable ties employed in such applications!)

3 hours ago, kgallen said:

So I’m intrigued what folk use to fix their cabling and tripe to lighting bars for production runs. I use Hellermann releasable cable ties and occasionally Advance electrical tape. Given neither are metallic fixings this appears unsatisfactory - since I’m not the type to wind cables of any sort around bars.

Interested what others do!

(For the record all luminaires and other kit are hung using the usual Doughty metallic hook clamps or trigger clamps with appropriately rated metallic bonds! No cable ties employed in such applications!)

Isn't that what your disused non load rated safety chains are for? Historically I've used tape for control but to prevent falling I've typically used tri-rated wire, clove hitch plus half hitch, since getting more involved with lighting I tend use chains.