Fire effect

Geo23

Hello valued experts,

I work at an amateur dramatics theatre in Arundel West Sussex.

Our next production is an adaptation of Jane Eyre Eyre which will need an effect of fire. The stage is small, measuring only 16ft wide and 14ft deep and will have semi transparent drapes in box set layout. Can anyone advise on how the effect of flames can be achieved ideally from behind the drapes. I’ve seen an effect used in ‘Frankenstein’ and this looks ideal. 

https://www.facebook.com/markdave.clarkludlam/videos/10213287655559253/?idorvanity=489500337748371

Thanks for comments. The torch will not be needed, that's the easy bit! We only have a limited space behind our semi transparent cloth onto which we would need to project the 'flames'. I'm not sure what's available to achieve the effect at such a short throw distance. Any ideas welcomed.

I wasn't thinking back projection would be needed just for an effect. A diagonal front projection with suitable performer blocking is all that is needed. Flames are flames and keystoning is less relevant than pictorial or geometric images.

A screen at 60 degrees SL or SR allows plenty of throw distance and image projection doesn't always have to be directly facing the auditorium. This may be a case for literally thinking laterally. (Sorry, couldn't resist it.)

• Thanks 1

Agree with all that said above, especially the points on angles and blocking. Also remember that if your walls are semi transparent, with front projection, the projection will also go through and show up on whatever is behind. This can give double images. With rear projection on semi transparent you'll have the be careful that the audience cannot see the projector lens, or they will see a hotspot especially in blackouts unless you've got a shutter or control the output of the projector.

We did a show a few years back that had a similar effect that was simply projected at a fairly sharp downwards angle, careful blocking and accepting we couldn't project to the floor made it work.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for delay in replying, and many thanks to all contributors. As a newbie to the forum I really didn’t expect such a wealth of suggestions from busy people such as the ‘pros’ who responded. 
my colleague finally went for three ‘fire effect bulbs’ which he sourced from the states. They have a mildly opaque shell and we placed them under the rostra we used and allowed their light to spill upwards into the drapes slightly behind them.

By introducing them sequentially it achieved the effect of a growing fire behind the bed where the actor was asleep. The required  night effect meant the modest output from the bulbs was adequate. The effect was only needed for 10 secs or so and was accompanied by lots of surrounding business which detracted from the slight lack of realism!

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, Geo23 said:

Hello valued experts,

I work at an amateur dramatics theatre in Arundel West Sussex.

Our next production is an adaptation of Jane Eyre Eyre which will need an effect of fire. The stage is small, measuring only 16ft wide and 14ft deep and will have semi transparent drapes in box set layout. Can anyone advise on how the effect of flames can be achieved ideally from behind the drapes. I’ve seen an effect used in ‘Frankenstein’ and this looks ideal. 

https://www.facebook.com/markdave.clarkludlam/videos/10213287655559253/?idorvanity=489500337748371

A cheap option might be with the wildtech inferno .