UV and haze - use together?

ABB125

A bit of a beginner question (sorry!). Do UV and haze go together well (ie: we have haze for other bits of the show, then we stick on some UV for one scene whilst there is still haze present)? My instinct would be that they don't; I'm expecting the UV to interact with the haze particles and light them up, but I have no idea what this will actually look like.

Thanks

• Like 1

My experience in this situation is not much more than installation and not as operator and more to do with a smoke machine than hazer so feel free to be wary.

I believe the effect I've noticed is more like a dark cloud casting shadow, almost like seeing it through mucky spectacles.

I'd say likely to create a problem to the effect you are trying to create.

Haze and smoke can sometimes reduce UV effects minimally simply because they reduce vision but UV still "works" with the stuff it always does work with. 

The only time I ever saw a tiny bit of UV reflection off smoke was one hilarious night with a lunatic lighting man and an industrial burglar deterrent smoke machine but I couldn't even see my feet in that mess.

• Like 2

It depends on the quality of your haze, and the quality of your UV. Ideal UV lights are not visible to the human eye - If your UV light, when pointed at a surface, looks dark blue... well... it's going to show up. Combine that with "poor" quality haze (large particle size, white and dense), you are 2 for 2.

If you are using a nice, fine haze and a good UV source you should not end up with everyone appearing to be in a cloud of dark purple/blue. 

Mixing UV and haze / smoke is something that is done up and down the country every night of the week in nightclubs and bars - and they don't all look like walls of fluorescent blue clouds inside!

As with most smoke effects, if you over-do it, then you'll have problems, but I suspect you'll be having bigger problems with the rest of your lighting if you get to the point where it will be causing issues with the UV.

• Like 1