Ramps used with Staging

DavidRAFM

Does anyone know where I can find legislation or any other info/compliance on the requirements for use of ramps with staging. We use staging for various events and are having ramps custom built to fit but I have been asked to look into info to back up our expenditure on them

Cheers

Staging for performers only, or with public access? The former could be risk assessed to have less protection/steeper ramps etc. than would normally be provisioned for the latter.

The ABTT Yellow Book is a good starting place. There will also be relevant British Standards.

(I’m assuming you’re UK based)

we used to have ballet ramps as there wasn't enough room in the wings for dancers to slow down.

I know that for a venue I go to the disabled ramp runs from centre downstage across to PS and folds back.

The stage is only 1M high but you're restricted by a manageable angle

Who is building this kit for you? They would be my first port of call as they will have all the required equipment to build ramps with guards and handrails, stairs and joining links. If they really want to clinch the sale they will be glad to design it for you in my experience. 

The HSE website may help  and more detail can be read up in the ISTRUCTE guide though it is mostly outdoor structures. 

This is the government guidance on access.  

55 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

But if the ramp is of any length, as a kindness to wheelchair users, make it shallower if you can! 

I have a colleague who has quite blunt views on 1:12 ramps...

1 in 12, per Building Regulations, is only acceptable for very short ramps. Anything longer and you are looking at 1 in 15, all the way out to 1 in 20.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

1 in 12, per Building Regulations, is only acceptable for very short ramps. Anything longer and you are looking at 1 in 15, all the way out to 1 in 20.

A venue we worked with was being refurbished. Someone quite rightly brought up the issue of wheelchair access to their platform, and it was decided that a ramp would be built. The architect instructed the joiners to build something to the regs, I suspect around 1 in 12.  

What they ended up with stretched almost halfway into the audience area, and each section required four people to lift it. The platform was only 18 inches or so high. 

Somewhat predictably, the ramp was put into storage where it has remained ever since. 

26 minutes ago, Stuart91 said:

......... each section required four people to lift it. The platform was only 18 inches or so high. 

If the ramps are for temporary use it may be worth contacting firms who make aluminium ramps for e.g. loading flightcases onto lorries.

2 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

A venue we worked with was being refurbished. Someone quite rightly brought up the issue of wheelchair access to their platform, and it was decided that a ramp would be built. The architect instructed the joiners to build something to the regs, I suspect around 1 in 12.  

What they ended up with stretched almost halfway into the audience area, and each section required four people to lift it. The platform was only 18 inches or so high. 

Somewhat predictably, the ramp was put into storage where it has remained ever since. 

which is why many shops or public buildings have those one person lift enclosures that only go up  a metre. My local JL store evolved from a victorian building and some departments ate up/down three or four steps. The cream coloured "box style" lifts seem to be ubiquitous. It's pretty much a forklift with a cabin where a pallet would be.

https://www.levellifts.co.uk/products/compact-open-style-lift/

Edited by Dave m

Stuart, Dave, since the OP has a full sized flying boat as one of many exhibits I think that the length of ramp is relatively unimportant. If one has space enough to hang a Chinook from the ceiling in just one of umpteen huge buildings over several acres the ramps can be as long as you like.

• Downvote 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:13 PM, Stuart91 said:

Some of the 'ready mades' for temporary access are so heavy and/or inconvenient they simply end up unused as well. If the staff likely to be using them can't handle them - this happened at one venue I know, I could hardly lift the thing  - then they right choice was not made. 

50 minutes ago, Junior8 said:

Some of the 'ready mades' for temporary access are so heavy and/or inconvenient they simply end up unused as well. If the staff likely to be using them can't handle them - this happened at one venue I know, I could hardly lift the thing  - then they right choice was not made. 

I think as Dave suggested above, a small platform lift would have been the answer here. That probably got knocked back on cost grounds as the question of disabled access was only raised quite late in the build process. 

Part of the problem with the wooden ramp that they got was the bulk as well as the size. It had a sturdy framework of 4x2" timber and was sheeted with 18mm ply, on the sides as well as the running surface. Even split into two sections, this made it difficult to lift and manoeuvre.

I suspect an aluminium ramp would have ended up being better. The length problem wouldn't have gone away but it could at least have been stowed against a wall when not in use. Overall weight would have been around the same, at worst, but end then could have been a relatively easy 2-person lift.