Thoughts on Equinox UV Power Flood?

Amy Worrall

6 hours ago, sleah said:

A (rather naughty) example is the 'Bra' effect. With blacklight the blouse/top will almost vanish, with LED the bra tends not be as visible. Or maybe blouses/tops are made of better UV blocking material these days and bras less reactive! 😂 Guess who used to mobile DJ with blacklight 'back in the day' 😁

We just used this effect deliberately in a show about a chaotic AmDram production. Actually went to the trouble of using a dayglow orange bikini top for added embarrassment 😁. The lights were two 150watt led floods which did indeed have a lot of visible output but that fitted with the general look of the scene. I don't know what make they were but they looked like a big security flood with 3 large 50watt LEDs in a very flat reflector. The chap I borrowed them from imports them from China I believe.

• 1 year later...
I am looking for a UV light for an art installation. It’s 8ft tall x 4ft walls room with no light - the doorway is a black curtain.

Could you recommend which product would suit this and be powerful to light up fluorescent screen prints on the walls. The artist hopes to hang the light from the ceiling but is willing to take advice.

For a true blacklight, with minimum visible light I would recommend UV blacklight fluorescent tubes as these give more UV and less visible light. Be sure to obtain the correct blacklight tubes, the ones that look black when not lit. Do not use other lamps intended for sun tanning, insect killers, printing, or water treatment.

UV LEDs are still not a match for blacklight tubes.

Four foot is the most common size but others exist. They operate in standard fittings. Blacklight CFLs are also available and are a  bit more limited in output but are easier to store and transport.

Edited by adam2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, musht said:

Particularly Black Light Blue, BLB,  tubes as Adam says not tanning , insect or germ killers, because

https://youtu.be/6DlfLthx89E?si=0-g_nkSeaolSWdXw

black paint standard 4 foot fittings, use tubes like

https://www.lampshoponline.com/f36w-blb-4ft-36w-t8-blacklight-blue-tube.html

An interesting read. I'd forgotten how cheap blacklight tubes are - possibly cheaper than standard 4' tubes (if you can manage to find them).

Another vote for fluoro tubes but you might be better off with several 2 foot fittings rather than 2 X 4 foot ones.  We used to use them with drapes quite effectively though  it might be worth hiring a couple of each size to try out before you buy. 

Edited by kerry davies
E2A

I had 4 of those UV cannons in the warehouse but they were just way too old, too bulky and took up too much space so I basically gave them to a youngling who's getting into lighting. To replace them I took 6 RGB PARs with individual diodes and replaced all the red, green and blue diodes with different wavelengths of UV. I think from 380nM up to 410nM. Works for me 😁