KAM Powerbar Schematic

Mike Bullock

Hi All,

Does anyone have access to a schematic diagram for the KAM Powerbar - my power supply is faulty and the engineer repairing it needs this in order to locate the fault. I tried contacting the owners (JHS) but they do not have it. Seems a shame to just throw it in in a skip as it's a really well built earlier model, and the lights themselves are very good.

Thanks,

Mike

You asked for a schematic. You will not find one.

Further repair help needs more information.

Several members here fix lighting equipment and we all have to work without schematics, for all makes and models.

Fixing faulty SMPS isn't difficult but potentially lethal for the unwary. 

1 hour ago, indyld said:

You asked for a schematic. You will not find one.

Further repair help needs more information.

Several members here fix lighting equipment and we all have to work without schematics, for all makes and models.

Fixing faulty SMPS isn't difficult but potentially lethal for the unwary. 

Thanks. Yes it does have different outputs.

Basically, the supply failed so I had it (professionally) repaired, but now the unit emits a high-pitched squeal when the lights are at their brightest - the guy who fixed the power issue now says he needs the schematic so he can trace the 'new' fault.

Sorry, I am new to this forum - how do I upload photos please?. The 'link' icon asks me to supply a URL, not to insert a file.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, timsabre said:

Post a photo of the faulty PSU module. Unless it is something esoteric with many different outputs, there will probably be some generic module you can replace it with.

Sorry, I am new to this forum - how do I upload photos please?. The 'link' icon asks me to supply a URL, not to insert a file.

Thanks

For some reason it's not letting me post a picture either.

To post this from a pc:

with the picture open in windows photo viewer:

In the 'open' drop down menu select paint.

In paint selected the area I wanted then right click & copy.

In the reply box right click and paste

image.png.b1646a7dd29fe8691c513d6b8edfffb6.png.

I imagine others will know an easier option.

Edited by sunray

2 hours ago, timsabre said:

Post a photo of the faulty PSU module. Unless it is something esoteric with many different outputs, there will probably be some generic module you can replace it with.

1 hour ago, sunray said:

For some reason it's not letting me post a picture either.

To post this from a pc:

with the picture open in windows photo viewer:

In the 'open' drop down menu select paint.

In paint selected the area I wanted then right click & copy.

In the reply box right click and paste

image.png.b1646a7dd29fe8691c513d6b8edfffb6.png.

I imagine others will know an easier option.

Thanks, but I'm using a mac and cannot replicate what you are doing (so far). Thanks anyway

Looking at the silver label near the input show 28v DC out at 3.5a. there is only one output from the power supply which is the red and black wires.

You will also need to measure the original power supply and compare sizes as well.

here is some I got on the web but they may not fit

https://ie.farnell.com/xp-power/ecs100us28/power-supply-ac-dc-medical-28v/dp/1738300

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-power-supplies/1227123

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-power-supplies/1720809

Other here may find other power supplies

Edited by dmxlights
  • Upvote 1

Do you think that silver label is also giving a second output rating - below 28V 3.5A there is a partial rating - V 0.5A

There looks to be a second pair of output wires just to the left of the ribbed heatsink, above the main terminal block.

Edited by alistermorton

29 minutes ago, alistermorton said:

Do you think that silver label is also giving a second output rating - below 28V 3.5A there is a partial rating - V 0.5A

There looks to be a second pair of output wires just to the left of the ribbed heatsink, above the main terminal block.

I would say that a fan for the power supply.

If the OP would move the wires coving the silver label and post another photo would be good

I suggest removing the PSU and getting clear pictures of any labelling and the output terminals, rather than guessing. There's probably a model number on it somewhere. Finding something with the right output(s) is probably the easy part. The restrictive form factor is the difficult bit. Repair should be relatively straightforward for someone equipped for, and experienced with SMPSs, provided your guy's previous attempt hasn't screwed up the transformer or damaged the PCB too much.

Looks like a simple SMPS power supply with one output. The 0.5A figure could well be the current taken from the mains when running. There are plenty of power supplies available that can be used but they probably wont fit in the unit. A bench try out will prove the PSU as the culprit and if necessary an external arrangement would make the fix. No idea about the noise though.