Vibrating kettle

Vicki

Hi, I want to create effects on stage prior to the first actor arriving on set today create suspense…

1. I want to remotely control a lamp flickering on and off using an Alexa plug. How would I make it flicker rather than just switching on?

2. I want to create the effect of an ornamental metal kettle rattling. Is there anything I could use remotely to create this effect?

Any help/advice would be appreciated 

An old trick is to wire a fluorescent starter into the live feed. This causes a flicker.

vibration wise, a small off centre motor would vibrate but easier to find something designed to vibrate and just switch the power.

I made an “alien “ wiggle by using a shiatsu neck massager as the motor.

https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/paging-systems/silent-alert-sa3000-hard-of-hearing-vibrating-pillow-pad.html

I have made a rubber heart beat by using a speaker and heavy bass. Possibly removing the cone might be an option

Edited by Dave m

1.  Depends on the lamp. If it's a standard 40 or 60W incansescent bulb simply wire it in series with a mechanical (not electronic) 85W fluorescent starter. Good old favourite of many a 1970's mobile disco.

2.  Dead simple... go to your favourite sex shop and purchase a powerful vibrator, fix it securely to the kettle and run it at a slow speed. mount the kettle in such a way it's wobbly, like sitting on some very soft springs.

A vibrator can be as simple as a motor turning an unbalanced load, the trick is to find the right speed. To experiment bend a piece of M6 studding and mount one end in a drill chuck and run it, weight can be added with nuts on the bent end.

image.png.e43e9ca92b36e6355973a01f18922213.png

Another idea is to mount a crank in the drill which moves the item in an orbital fashion.

image.png.edda3c637d300adc68337e3d7c69667e.png

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Dave m said:

An old trick is to wire a fluorescent starter into the live feed. This causes a flicker.

vibration wise, a small off centre motor would vibrate but easier to find something designed to vibrate and just switch the power.

I made an “alien “ wiggle by using a shiatsu neck massager as the motor.

Touche

22 minutes ago, Dave m said:

I have made a rubber heart beat by using a speaker and heavy bass. Possibly removing the cone might be an option

Heart in a dummys chest was a red balloon. Bike pump connected to windscreen wiper motor

EDIT MK2 was a whoopy cushion

Edited by sunray

Thank you for your replies, I just want to create the effect that the magic is happening and something is about to begin. The lamp flickering, the kettle/lid rattling and I have a water fogger combined with dramatic music will lead to the arrival of a Fairy inspector. I need to control it all remotely so thought that if it was attached to an Alexa plug I could create this effect. 

I will get further advice in your suggestions as I’m not very technical myself! 

If this is a show, it's also possible that the existing lighting desk could make a light flicker and set off the vibration which would give good control over timing. Alexa has it's place but not in a theatre as far as I am concerned. Make sure you discuss with your technical people, You may find solutions already exist. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robin D said:

If this is a show, it's also possible that the existing lighting desk could make a light flicker and set off the vibration which would give good control over timing. Alexa has it's place but not in a theatre as far as I am concerned. Make sure you discuss with your technical people, You may find solutions already exist. 

Indeed the alexa type thing is totally a no go, the reliability is way outside the requirements, also imagine a member of the audiaence cottoning on and calling it.

I've only been looking at the mechanics of the effects so far, the actual logistics of controlling it is still to come AFAIC.

1 hour ago, Junior8 said:

A motorised cam is the best idea for the lid but remember the lid of a kettle will only vibrate if steam is literally jetting out of the spout. A bit of mist won't do really. What about a whistling kettle and air?

Or even a real kettle on a hot plate.

If I get this corretly this seems to be for a magical/fantastical opening where reality may not be the main intent. I can well imagine the kettle being floating in mid space.