Feeling overwhelmed- jumping from amateur to professional

I’ve recently landed a Stage Crew job with my local theatre, having previously only worked on amateur/youth/small-scale productions. I did my first day today, working on a major UK tour. However, I’m feeling overwhelmed by the whole situation. There’s many technical terms I don’t understand, many systems that I’ve never had experience with before, and I’m struggling to keep up. I’m so scared of ruining the whole show, and it only opens in two days. I’m at the point where I regret even taking the job, even though everyone around me has been so understanding so far. Though I know that sentiment can only stretch so far. Any advice on adapting to such a large change? At least the other experienced stage crew are also nervous about all the technical demands, that makes me feel better. 

You’ve got this!

making the jump to a pro tour is a big jump. You’re surrounded by pros who won’t judge you if you ask for help or express concern that you don’t understand something.  Take a deep breath, clear your mind and carry on with the job- if you don’t understand then ask, but you wouldn’t be on this roll if someone didn’t believe you can (maybe with a little nudging) do the job you have been awarded!

• Upvote 2

Thank you both! I’m also doing a Stage Management course at the moment, though not at university. and my tutor mentioned that one of the ASMs he taught is on the show. I was a bit embarrassed to be making mistakes in front of her, and my confidence was really knocked when she asked why I was struggling. It wasn’t extremely mean, but it still made me feel unwelcome. It might be my anxiety getting to me, or my imposter syndrome, but I worry she is going to mention this to my tutor and it will impact his image of me. Again, maybe I’m over reacting.

We were all new once. Don't be ashamed to admit to others that you're not very experienced in xyz (you have experience in plenty of different things, just not those particular areas). Pay attention to what others are doing and ask questions where you can to understand the reasons things are done in a certain way. I personally love it when I can pass on knowledge or tips and tricks to others who want to learn. 

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, BenKent2027 said:

Thank you both! I’m also doing a Stage Management course at the moment, though not at university. and my tutor mentioned that one of the ASMs he taught is on the show. I was a bit embarrassed to be making mistakes in front of her, and my confidence was really knocked when she asked why I was struggling. It wasn’t extremely mean, but it still made me feel unwelcome. It might be my anxiety getting to me, or my imposter syndrome, but I worry she is going to mention this to my tutor and it will impact his image of me. Again, maybe I’m over reacting.

Surely the reason you're on the course is to learn, part of that learning is (actually it absolutely must include) on the job training.

It appears to me that is what is happening.

When I've had newbies with me I'm totally happy to receive questions, I'll go further and say I actively encourage questions and I'd rather give advice than have to rip out their work and do it all again.

We had a similar sort of thread on here a while back and it simply faded away as his experience/expertise picked up.

Above all; make friends, not war.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Edited by sunray

Everyone around you started from where you are now and one or two are still "winging it". Everyone else who knows what they are doing welcomes the opportunity to pass on their skills, knowledge and experience. It makes us feel good and reinforces our own skills and knowledge. Strangely enough that is precisely what happens here on BR so continue asking.

If the experienced crew are jittery then you may just be picking it up from them. Just do your bit as well as you can and forget everything else. The ASM probably asked about your struggles in order to help not to tell tales to her former tutor whom she is hardly likely to seek out. 

I think that at one time or another every single one of us identifies with the lyric to Once In A Lifetime.

Taking the first step in anything is always like this I think and as Kerry points out the process of continuous learning means that the feeling of being overwhelmed lies hoof in mouth round the corner in every career. Just ask when you don't know and do nothing less than your best and, number one, be reliable and you'll be on your way.

Remember too everyone else will be out of their comfort zone over something. It's called being alive. Being a pro means coping with that.

When Torvill & Dean won the Olympics and Ravel's Bolero was being programmed in concert halls everywhere a very eminent principal percussionist  reported, in a R4 feature, feeling petrified each time he had to start the damned thing off.  Didn't stop him loving the job.

Just enjoy the ride. 

Edited by Junior8

Just keep doing as you're asked and if you need anything, ask.

I'm a (competent) enthusiastic amateur sound and light lad - and been involved in several pro shows in my time, but been a professional musician all my life.
I study different protocols, mixing desk OSes, latest tech, etc.  when I can. Places like this site have saved me more than once - and, the correct terminology does help asking the correct question. 

Me, and all the true pros I know enjoy passing on knowledge. It helps everyone on the gig, ultimately.

All the best with it. Enjoy - not least the fact that you've a regular gig after the past couple of years!

• Like 1

You think you had trouble aclimatising...???
😮

I've been an amateur practitioner since the mid 70s when I started as a young whippersnapper, (and things were VERY different back then!)

And I'd been the man in charge of a small am-dram (250 seater) theatre for quite some years when I did my first casual shifts at the Hippodrome in Brum, in my early 40s I think - and THAT was a very weird feeling I can say! 😄 I fully expected to be - and certainly was - at the bottom of the pecking order, and was the oldest part-timer there, and older than most of the full-timers too. So going from my own space, knowing where everything was, and being responsible for everything technical, and supervising most of the other amateurs on site, I went to the extreme opposite, having to ask about what was expected and where to find stuff (and how to get to it!). I was very much overwhelmed to start with, but it didn't take long to get into a rhythm. And after a couple of shifts it became very clear that everything was pretty much the same as my small space - just that everything was that much bigger. The same problems existed, (eg never enough space for storage...) just on a different scale.

So - the advice is the same as everyone else here - take each day/shift at a time, do what you know you can do with confidence, and where you're unsure, or even don't have a clue, just ASK. Few crews I've worked with have ever complained that they were asked questions to ensure the noob is doing it right, although try not to ask the same question more than once - remember the answers 🙂

• Like 1