New ETC Consoles

Bryson

I notice on ETC's website that the "older" consoles have also had a change and now feature Wi-Fi and Bluetooth along with USB-C connections. I may have missed this update, but also seems they're now windows 10. A bit like the Ion classic, I wonder how long software support for the Win7 Element, Ion, Gio, and EOS Ti will continue.

19 hours ago, alistermorton said:

Hadn't seen the update to Windows 10 - where was that?

There's no specific announcement, but some support articles for element Ion and @5 such as "Updating Software on a Gio @5" now reference consoles running 7 or 10 as opposed to XP. I'm sure I read it somewhere else as well but can't find it now so it's possible I'm adding 2&2 and getting 5.

I find it frustrating how little importance console manufacturers seem to give to the programmer being able to see the stage - granted these things do appear to do some clever folding which may help, but I still find some benefit to a classic ion where I can put the screens to the side and not have to stand up all the time.

In an ideal world they would make some kind of magic arm to hold the screens, allowing them to fold out sideways. Or produce a console of this spec but without the built in touch screens (at the top) at all, which I could see being very popular in a lot of cramped theatre control rooms!

Have to say that I'm with you on that one. I remain a huge fan of the ETC desks overall, but when we moved from Ion classic to Gio @5 I found myself having to use at least a couple of seat booster cushions when at the production desk position in the auditorium just to be able to see the screen and see the stage...

7 hours ago, Ynot said:

Have to say that I'm with you on that one. I remain a huge fan of the ETC desks overall, but when we moved from Ion classic to Gio @5 I found myself having to use at least a couple of seat booster cushions when at the production desk position in the auditorium just to be able to see the screen and see the stage...

That's because you're short! I never had a problem at your desk...

But yes I quite agree.