Larger label printer

Stuart91

I'm in the process of reorganising some of our stock, and I would like to move away from the "Sharpie scrawled on white gaffa" method of labelling things like briefcases. 

We already have a couple of Rhino label printers, which are fine but a bit on the small side for this kind of task. 

Ideally I'd go for something close to the same width as gaffa, so ideally 50mm but a little smaller would be OK. The labels would have to have quite aggressive adhesive, and it doesn't really matter whether the labeller itself is a handheld unit or a desktop design that hooks up to a computer. 

Does anyone have any models etc. that they could recommend?

(P.S. we are already using tour labels on top of cases, this labelling is more for the ends etc. so smaller cases can be easily identified on shelves)

For the longest time we have used case labels cut up to fit on peli cases. In fact the boss worked out the perfect cuts to do top and side + a front tag with 1 label as it doesnt sit flat.

What kind of items ? and long lasting ? 
We have just got a brother td4420dn for doing case content lists, and also use now for pallets and place labels as needed. the current tape isnt super lasting but I hear they have some strong stuff and plastic type also

Not in this environment (retail and distribution) but my 'go to' label company before retirement was Sato UK based at Harwich. They do a large range of printers printing onto many sizes and types of label stock with a huge variation in adhesives. Certainly 5-6 years ago they were considerably more helpful and cheaper than Avery Berkel, Brother or Toshiba. Certainly worth a call IMHO.  Note that all these supply solutions and ask you to commit to purchase labels from them for a period. However, if you use a 'standard' size unprinted stock with one of about 4 levels of tack, you can then source the stock from many on-line label suppliers. Have something made to spec, the number of labels you need to order and commit to is very high. Remembers also that self adhesive labels deteriorate over time so some takes have a life of only a year or so before they cannot be used.  

I have no other interest in Sato other than as a direct customer for for about 20 years and as a company I was happy to recommend to clients as a consultant for another decade or thereabouts. My contacts in 2015 were Emma Male and Mark Morters I think.  

Lots of good suggestions here. 

For the longest time we have used case labels cut up to fit on peli cases.

We've done that for some boxes, e.g. plastic crates that don't have enough space to hold a full tour label. However I suspect that, on the sides, there'd be more change of a thicker tour label getting scraped off. Plus we don't need to re-write anything, this is for briefcases and small flight cases where the contents are permanent. (A tour label on the top face is used for job/venue etc.)

5 hours ago, the kid said:

We have just got a brother td4420dn for doing case content lists,

Looks like a very capable machine. At 4 inches wide, it's bigger than I think we'd need. (Current 50mm gaffa solution is ~2 inches)

Unfortunately for me (but understandably) most online resellers etc. concentrate on paper shipping labels etc. Makes sense as this is a far larger market than the sort of thing I'm looking to do. 

4 hours ago, Robin D said:

my 'go to' label company before retirement was Sato UK

I think you're right, I'd need to call and discuss with them as they do such a huge range. Definitely worth following up though - thanks. 

2 hours ago, david.elsbury said:

You can get A4 vinyl label stock that you could run through a Dye Sublimation (best) or Laser (almost as good) printer; then guilotine into strips? 

I've got a colour laser on hand, this might be a good way to test the concept before dropping the money on a proper printer. 

I used to use pouch laminator labels.

I would do a simple label on a laser printer, stick it into a credit card sized pouch, or A5/6 and whack it through the machine.

if you left a space, you could write on with a sharpie, and stick them on with carpet tape. There is also a 3M product for cars that really sticks.

it’s a bit slow but once done it works

The Brady IDXpert can do up to 50mm labels, and I can confirm that the Outdoor Vinyl ones stick like excrement to a blanket. Hard to come by now though. Last roll I got was from eBay.

Edit - I might be lying, they could be 38mm high. 

Edited by cedd

On 2/19/2022 at 10:47 PM, cedd said:

The Brady IDXpert can do up to 50mm labels, and I can confirm that the Outdoor Vinyl ones stick like excrement to a blanket. Hard to come by now though

Looks like the IDXpert machines are discontinued now, but Brady have some newer models available. 

One manufacturer that's off my shortlist is Dymo, who seem to be adding DRM to tie customers into using only their labels

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

Yeah, it's something I like about the P-Touch... they offer their own labels but don't seem to stop you from using other peoples'.

This is really valuable for electrical installers working internationally as you will sometimes be in territories where getting the real deal is more difficult than buying a copy. It's not ideal buying non-genuine tapes, but if it's all you can get your hands on, having a label printer that bars you from using one is a real irritation.

Ultimately for whatever the rights and wrongs might be, I kinda resent any manufacturer who thinks they get to tell me how I'm allowed to use my tools after I've bought them.