Thomann purchases

Dave m

There was a brief period when you had to pay import charges, but now VAT and customs charges are included in the price.

From the Thomann blog:

"Final pricing means no additional VAT applied after the order has been placed, no handling fees and VAT paid to couriers, just the convenience of knowing that the price you see at the checkout is the total price you pay. VAT (20%)* and handling fees are now factored into the final online price so you don’t pay more. Simple!"

https://www.thomann.de/blog/en/an-update-for-our-valued-uk-customers/

I have ordered stuff recently, and it was fine. 

As said it's now the price you see, is the price you pay. It's slower now than it used to be, so do allow a few extra days for processing and shipping. I believe they're doing shuttle type deliveries to a UK distribution centre so they handle the import side of thing, then forwarding it on from a UK warehouse.

The biggest issue is clearing UK customs. I just had to order a just over 5 Euro spare part which was despatched by tracked post the same day and left by air arriving Heathrow next day. It hit the customs hall at Langley at 10:02 on 28th March where it sat until Saturday the 5th finally delivered yesterday. Good old British red tape at its best. Thanks Brexit.  

However, I ordered a product from them last month which arrived two days later!

7 hours ago, Robin D said:

The biggest issue is clearing UK customs. I just had to order a just over 5 Euro spare part which was despatched by tracked post the same day and left by air arriving Heathrow next day. It hit the customs hall at Langley at 10:02 on 28th March where it sat until Saturday the 5th finally delivered yesterday. Good old British red tape at its best. Thanks Brexit.  

However, I ordered a product from them last month which arrived two days later!

That seems to be common to customs in most countries. There's no logic in how long stuff takes to clear. 

It’s a little uncertain now if we are all potentially waiting for a bill. The suppliers pay the VAT due on import, for us. No doubt the big firms do, but you need to be very careful. Looking at one invoice with VAT at 20% shown clearly on it comes from one of the Nordic countries. I see no GB VAT number, just a mention of VAT. Could it be their VAT? If so, I’ve not paid UK VAT at all. I buy lots of stock from China and some have my VAT number, so don’t add VAT at their end, but that delivery that used to mean parcelforce or UPD wanted money from me, now arrives without VAT sometimes. I used to get small 2Kg packages in a big box, maybe ten or twenty in each one, and these always had VAT added by the carrier paid before or after delivery. Shipping costs now mean I get from two suppliers, individual parcels as it’s now cheaper by a long way. This means a four grand order should have £800 due in VAT, and nobody is collecting it? In my accounting software, I’m not actually sure how I account for this? I suppose I could raise an invoice for zero, and manually add a VAT amount, but surely there should be a demand for the tax, not a reliance on the purchaser to add it and pay it? If at the end of march, I suddenly get an invoice from UPS for the past three months deliveries, how would I then cancel my own voluntary payment? It’s a mess.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, paulears said:

It’s a little uncertain now if we are all potentially waiting for a bill. The suppliers pay the VAT due on import, for us. No doubt the big firms do, but you need to be very careful. Looking at one invoice with VAT at 20% shown clearly on it comes from one of the Nordic countries. I see no GB VAT number, just a mention of VAT. Could it be their VAT? If so, I’ve not paid UK VAT at all. I buy lots of stock from China and some have my VAT number, so don’t add VAT at their end, but that delivery that used to mean parcelforce or UPD wanted money from me, now arrives without VAT sometimes. I used to get small 2Kg packages in a big box, maybe ten or twenty in each one, and these always had VAT added by the carrier paid before or after delivery. Shipping costs now mean I get from two suppliers, individual parcels as it’s now cheaper by a long way. This means a four grand order should have £800 due in VAT, and nobody is collecting it? In my accounting software, I’m not actually sure how I account for this? I suppose I could raise an invoice for zero, and manually add a VAT amount, but surely there should be a demand for the tax, not a reliance on the purchaser to add it and pay it? If at the end of march, I suddenly get an invoice from UPS for the past three months deliveries, how would I then cancel my own voluntary payment? It’s a mess.

Ah yes maybe ? 

I had to send a camera (2 actually) for service to blackmagic UK one in may and one in september. I sent, as far as I can tell the same method both times, using Schenker, who passed to GDL who passed to parcelforce. a few weeks back schenker served us with a bill from parcelforce for the import as BM were not paying it. 
1 - not sure why there was a bill as it was RMA. BUT I know there is a limit of value before you HAVE to pay RMA - service- anything
2- why did we get a bill for the september package but not the march one?
3 - will we get one for march - schenker said they get dumps of uk invoices never logical, packages from march, october, june all mixed up sender or receiver makes no difference. 

So we have a bill of about £500 for a RMA + £1000+ parts which frankly is a bit much but what can you do 

56 minutes ago, the kid said:

I had to send a camera (2 actually) for service to blackmagic UK...

Ah, temporary importation.

It's a nightmare. Some carriers specifically exclude carrying items for temporary importation because of the paperwork problems. And it's not just UK-EU that is the problems. I've had kit returned from the US where it had been sent for repair, having been refused customs clearance, because there wasn't sufficient evidence that it'd been made in the US. Even though it's emblazoned with 'Proudly Made In The USA'.

26 minutes ago, Brian said:

Ah, temporary importation.

It's a nightmare. Some carriers specifically exclude carrying items for temporary importation because of the paperwork problems. And it's not just UK-EU that is the problems. I've had kit returned from the US where it had been sent for repair, having been refused customs clearance, because there wasn't sufficient evidence that it'd been made in the US. Even though it's emblazoned with 'Proudly Made In The USA'.

I have no idea anymore. All I know is that some how its still less to purchase a number of items in the UK. AND companies like BM still dont have a EU hole.

I'd not even thought of return for service issues!

On my VAT query, the accountant advises that I must create a bill entry, for £0.00 but with the VAT amount based on what I actually paid - so if the item cost a grand, then I create an entry for VAT of £200. Then when the item sells, the VAT in that transaction is reduced by the amount in the bill entry (the input tax).

If I didn't do this, the VAT paid to HMRC would be exactly the same - but I need to show it. A lot of work for no real purpose.