All non agri plant to run on clear diesel from 1st April 2022

weedkiller

A variable RCD is better than bypassing the RCD as it gives you some protection for the cable and distros - but yes, a 30mA RCD on a 63/3 is rather silly.

Symphony Hall has a nice setup with variable RCDs on all the high capacity outlets, with both trip current and delay being adjustable, and with a keyswitch to bypass if really necessary. The variable RCDs also have traffic light indicators of the earth leakage vs the trip current which is a useful visual indicator.

4 hours ago, J Pearce said:

A variable RCD is better than bypassing the RCD as it gives you some protection for the cable and distros - but yes, a 30mA RCD on a 63/3 is rather silly.

Symphony Hall has a nice setup with variable RCDs on all the high capacity outlets, with both trip current and delay being adjustable, and with a keyswitch to bypass if really necessary. The variable RCDs also have traffic light indicators of the earth leakage vs the trip current which is a useful visual indicator.

There is always a better system. At some point the installation may be unsuitable, gardless of what is installed. I rather like the RCB/bypass method as long as it's correctly managed.

In the case of the described socket we use a SWA to the first distro, generally it contains either a variable 3ph RCD or 3x 1ph RCD or more generally a 3ph board populated with 16/32A 30mA RCBO's

41 minutes ago, Stuart91 said:

Steering gently back towards the original topic, I hired a mini digger today. They're charging £1.70 per litre for (clear) diesel used and not replaced. 

Needless to say, we shall be brimming the tank with finest supermarket diesel before returning it. 

Why would anyone put clear diesel in a digger when the new regulations are still months away?  Can you not get red in your area?  70 -80p /litre from most local suppliers or less if I get a few hundred delivered.  I can understand that it may not be worth the hassle and a mini digger might only use 20 - 40 litres in a week but it would certainly offend me to even see clear diesel in anything but a road vehicle,  May as well burn £20 notes
If someone gave me a digger full of clear (no trace of red)  I would drain it all and put it in my van before topping up the machine with red

Edited by weedkiller
  • Like 1

Good sites have good quality red, stored in good quality bunded tanks and dispensed in a controlled manner and in that instance it makes no difference if the digger is on red or white, however we loose a couple of (diesel powered) heaters per year when they’ve been rented out and the end user has pumped a few weeks of dirty/polluted red through them. I can see why a rental firm to an unknown client would insist on  white as it’s easy to spot if it’s polluted and it’s frankly much harder to get it “dirty” than red because of the distribution system.  

11 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

Steering gently back towards the original topic, I hired a mini digger today. They're charging £1.70 per litre for (clear) diesel used and not replaced. 

Needless to say, we shall be brimming the tank with finest supermarket diesel before returning it. 

Realistically 40L @ 25P is £10 and possibly not worth the hassle.

As long as you don't do what I saw one guy doing with a 5 gallon water bottle.

Edited by sunray

2 hours ago, themadhippy said:

because a plug is designed for flexible cable,swa is defiantly  not flexible.

Is this defined somewhere?

Neither are some other multistranded cables, should they not be used in plugs?

Edited by sunray

4 hours ago, sunray said:

Very well.

Why do you have doubts?

I am not aware of any specific prohibition regarding terminating SWA cable into a plug, but would regard so doing as poor practice.

IME the gland or cable grip fitted to most plugs does not grip SWA very well, with a significant risk of the armouring pulling out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adam2 said:

I am not aware of any specific prohibition regarding terminating SWA cable into a plug, but would regard so doing as poor practice.

IME the gland or cable grip fitted to most plugs does not grip SWA very well, with a significant risk of the armouring pulling out.

We use specific armour terminating devices and chose plugs/socketscouplers which have nice cable clamps and enough space. Not had any more trouble with it than other cables.

I'd rather not use SWA for site temporaries but as far as I'm concerned there is nothing else out there for such situations.

5 hours ago, sunray said:

That was pretty much the conclusion we came to. It doesn't help that the nearest suppliers are a bit of a distance away, if we could buy it around the corner I'd be more likely. 

The digger is on a two day hire, and I doubt we'd get through 40 litres anyway. We do have proper metal Jerry cans though. 

5 hours ago, sunray said:

15 minutes ago, Stuart91 said:

The digger is on a two day hire, and I doubt we'd get through 40 litres anyway. We do have proper metal Jerry cans though. 

Ah yes but the 5 gallon water bottle had water in it...