5J T1 1000W lamp

Rob the Spark

Hello at my local community centre / am dram venue our front of house profiles are still Strand patt 264 units. Most of these have T19 1000W lamps, but some of them still have the old 5J lamps with a T1 base. 

We don’t have any spare lamps for the older units and I’m wondering if anyone here can point me in the direction of a supplier of the original lamp pattern or a conversion kit to enable the use of T19 lamps instead? I remember many years ago we got a load of conversion kits to upgrade our patt 23 and patt 123s from T1 lamps to T18 halogens. 

We have zero budget to work with so unfortunately replacing the units is not really an option. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0BE7B663-8068-476C-8D0F-E5C2AE507B52.thumb.jpeg.c271e7eec62416ef67c3aff478edae41.jpeg

These are the lamps I am looking for. 

Thanks!

It is indeed a P28 base, but the photo is not a T11, but a T23, which has a longer body & is designed to run base-up (they still seem to be available in the US as Marine lamps). RB Lighting used to sell conversion kits from P28 to GX9.5 bases for T11 lamps & a conversion kit (basically a drilled ceramic block) to allow T11 lamps to be used in Patt.264s (which then had to be inverted, to run the lamp base-down).  I think the conversion kits were made by Jim Laws. There is a BR thread on 264s - 

I'd also strongly recommend starting putting together a plan to replace them with LED over the next few years.

While the 'common' theatrical halogen lamps are very unlikely to actually disappear altogether, they are going to get harder to buy and a lot more expensive over the next few years as the factories making them shut down.
You really don't want to be spending milspec or aviation type money on replacement lamps!

It won't be very long before they're like floppy disks and thermionic tubes - still available, but rare and possibly even collectible(!)
- 5-8 years ago there was only one place in the world making floppy disks. Now, nowhere does so anyone still using floppies is reliant on old stock.

I’d echo others in saying that at 50-60 years old these lanterns have done their service and it’s definitely time to put a solid plan together to replace them before the next 5-10 years.

Launch a campaign for a “energy efficient” lighting rig. Some well worded letters might attract funding too.

In the short term, some milled aluminium blocks will allow fitment of a more modern lamp. The important thing is to keep the centre of the filaments centred in the reflector. Your existing T19 modified units may even provide the pattern, copy what’s done in there, take it to a local engineering shop (or your local model engineering society?), and get some more made up.

C6EA2AB5-E3F4-4EB6-AEE4-E2024C40272A.thumb.jpeg.330a9359dd73b9d465e15b8f339390b2.jpeg

I’ve had a look today at one of the previously converted units and to be honest it doesn’t look like it would be too difficult to replicate, and I’ve found GX9.5 lamp holders on thomann for about £20 

As much as I’d love to see these units replaced with LED, it simply isn’t going to happen. The patt 264s are only 10 years old to them and were donated from a local school. To go LED they would need to upgrade to DMX first of all…

Edited by Rob the Spark
Clearer photo added

Yes that is the conversion kit I mentioned (it's a stand-off block on top of a P28/GX9.5 kit - aluminium blocks of course, not ceramic - if you have a tame metal-basher you could make your own), but T11 / T19 lamps don't like being run base-up (the filament falls off the hooks), so you should really rig the converted 264s upside-down (yes, they will look stupid, but your lamps might last into adulthood).

Edited by sandall

Making you own conversion kit is trivial if you have a few basic tools.

Aluminium bar can be had from eBay. Tool wise all you need is a hacksaw, drill, and M4 tap. A ceramic 'choc block' can be used to connect the leads from the new GX9.5 lamp holder to the existing.

I reckon it should be pretty simple to knock up a conversion kit at work so I’ll give it a go and see how it turns out. 

BEF74C6B-F55B-46F8-A3DF-E8FC74EB6AA8.thumb.jpeg.756abc2096b6834548c8285b7e389e3f.jpegD959115B-759A-4926-B4D2-25052F1440C8.thumb.jpeg.c14604f34adb17db9a8cb0ef6619b563.jpeg

these are the two different lamp types sat in their units and they both look pretty close to me. Is one of them better positioned than the other?

On 1/8/2022 at 5:33 PM, Rob the Spark said:

[...] and I’ve found GX9.5 lamp holders on thomann for about £20

I might possibly be able to save you even that much - I know of a venue in Yorkshire that took the opportunity of the Covid break to finish transitioning to a fully LED lighting rig. They now need to get rid of their old tungsten-based fixtures, and (AFAIK) are offering them away for free. There's no doubt several somethings there that you could cannibalise for their lamp holders.

Edited by mnorwood