Jacob's ladder effect.

Ynot

Looking ahead to my next big show in June, Young Frankenstein, I'm investigating options for effects for the lab...

The obvious biggie would be a Jacob's Ladder (or 2...)which will likely be set safely atop the upper level of the planned staging.

Now, construction of these from scratch does look to be well within my capabilities, but to save time and effort, if anyone has one or two that have already been put together, I thought I'd ask here. Even better, if they have perspex covers for them.

So - anybody??

Try asking in the High Voltage and Tesla Coil maker forums. You may find someone local to you willing to help, demonstrate or lend equipment.

Do remember that a Jacobs ladder is effectively a spark-gap transmitter and will generate copious amounts of wideband RF interference. The arc is an ignition source for anything flammable nearby. Ozone and short wavelength (ie hazardous) Ultraviolet light can be produced by the arc too. Time to do a Risk assessment......

19 hours ago, pmiller056 said:

Time to do a Risk assessment......

RA is already under consideration - looking at all of the obvious risks and placement/containment should mitigate most of those.

Hadn't thought of the possible RF issue, but will certainly put that to the test when I have one to try.

9 hours ago, sunray said:

Have you thought about a LED matrix in its place? all of the hazards gone in one go.

Or even a video of the real thing on a 40" screen?

Not reallyย 

Neither will do the original effect any justice, so as long as I can ensure a safe use of the ladders, which I will do (or abandon the attempt) then that's the plan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ynot said:

Not reallyย 

Neither will do the original effect any justice, so as long as I can ensure a safe use of the ladders, which I will do (or abandon the attempt) then that's the plan.

ย 

ย 

๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•

It's a shame our like votes aren't identifyable.

• Funny 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Ynot said:

But was that you giving me a double 'bird'...??
๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎย 

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. NOOOOO. ย  I did that from my phone and thought I'd selected thumbs up.

Sadly there is a time limit on editting posts๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜“

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, sunray said:

Have you thought about a LED matrix in its place? all of the hazards gone in one go.

ย 

Or even a video of the real thing on a 40" screen?

ย 

13 hours ago, Ynot said:

Not reallyย 

Hopefully I can make amends...

ย 

It's a shame our like votes aren't identifiable.:thumbup::thumbup:

• Funny 1