Looking For Odd Connector

Brian

Can anyone think of what I can only describe as a gender-free connector? ie one that will interconnect with itself?

I can only think of the ST16 as used for LV AC but ideally I'd like something a bit more robust. I only need 2 poles, but more will be OK, and I don't care about polarity.

post-207-0-99802000-1633457907_thumb.jpg

Anderson connectors are genderless, powerpole are modular per core and SB are two-core (usually 12 or 24v) in different sizes

Just to add one thing that isn’t immediately obvious is SB will only mate with their own colour connector, eg SB50 red will only mate with red, the keyways are different according to colour to allow separate systems

Edited by TomHoward

To carry data or fork truck power?

Something around 5A max.

The search term is "hermaphroditic connector"

Thanks, that a better search than the one I was using.

It's a pity that there don't appear to be any that are a bit more 'XLR-like'. Something with decent cable strain relief.

Talking of XLR's

https://www.canford....TORS-ConvertCon

Short pins 2 and 3 for one wire Pin 1 for the other

Of all the things I never thought I'd see...

That's how I wire 3 pin XLR for loudspeakers.

Now one of my 'competitors' just used pins 2&3 for his speakers and decided it wasn't such a good idea after plugging a 500W amplifier and an SM58 into an 8way spider box which by sheer coincidence looked exacly the same as his 8way stage snakes.

Talking of XLR's

https://www.canford....TORS-ConvertCon

Short pins 2 and 3 for one wire Pin 1 for the other

(Think you mean Swap?) I was given some of these to make up adaptors leads, but can't say I've ever found a use for the leads

No no. Definitely link. the idea is to prevent voltages appearing across the usual 2&3 signal by shorting them together.

A friend made up some TRS > XLR adaptors with these a long time ago - seemed a very useful toolbox item.

However he's since advised me that, while not exactly flimsy, they have not turned out to be as robust as one normally expects from Neutrik. I think he's now measuring their life in years, rather than decades!

A friend made up some TRS > XLR adaptors with these a long time ago - seemed a very useful toolbox item.

I did the same thing. Didn't keep them for long enough to be able to comment on the durability. However I really didn't like the additional length on the connector. It seemed to me that they were very vulnerable to knocks and were far more likely to damage the socket they were plugged into.