Cleaning and touching up

Stuart91

I've just acquired a job-lot of staging decks. They're mainly Prolyte but there are some Global models in there too.

They all have a "Hexa" finish, similar to what you can see in this photo.

We have quite a bit of accumulated gunk to clean off them, remnants of gaffa and NEC tape, various sticky residues, and some horrible green stuff that looks like Blu-Tac but is much more aggressive.

I've tried most of our usual cleaning products with some success, but a lot of the older material is well baked on. We've also got some annoying bits stuck in the "treads" of the hex pattern.

I'm wary of being too brutal (either with solvents or wire brushes) for fear of damaging the finish - it looks like some kind of plastic. Any ideas for cleaning it quickly?

Also got a few scratches to deal with, unlike say Steeldeck where you can just fill and paint, there seems to be limited possibilities. I coloured some in with a Sharpie and they look much better than the raw wood but it's clearly not going to last.

Bit of a Catch 22. You could try increasingly warmer water and a nail brush or even a Karcher pressure wash but never a wire brush or you will wreck the surface. The green gunk may be Loctite, in which case good luck as they suggest acetone which will probably melt the surface. Once the surface has "gone" you have two choices really. Send them back to Prolyte for new Topline "lids" or paint them and use them only with Harlequin.

I had some Alistage and kept it in good nick for years until it was loaned out and came back with surface chips. It was filled and painted immediately but just soaked up moisture in storage and blew the plywood. That went back for refurbishment but it wasn't cheap, hence the dancefloor suggestion.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it's quite similar to my previous endeavours cleaning flight cases, but the specific info is really useful.

Luckily most of these decks will be destined for indoor use only, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about moisture getting into the scratches.

I'm guessing that retopping the decks would require a trip back to the Prolyte mothership on the continent? That's probably not going to be financially feasible but I may keep it up my sleeve as a threat to anyone who might damage them in future.

The surface coating is normally phenolic resin so resistant to most solvents. You can buy the sheets of ply to resurface and it is not a difficult job, google for "phenolic ply hexagon" comes up with some things that look like your photo.

eg https://www.jastimber.co.uk/18mm-brown-wagonboard-birch-plywood

£75.50 per sheet

Edited by timsabre

The surface coating is normally phenolic resin so resistant to most solvents.

Good to know - I'd been a little wary that most of my armoury would start eating the surface.

You can buy the sheets of ply to resurface and it is not a difficult job, google for "phenolic ply hexagon" comes up with some things that look like your photo.

"Phenolic" is the magic word I was missing - thanks!