Dance Studio PA that can't be overdriven

DanSteely

This solution was so obvious I didn't suggest it myself as I assumed there must be some reason why it had been rejected already. It would have been my first option.

Absolutely. Mipro do some some quite decent offerings; I've even supplied a Studiospares box with a handle that I've had no complaints about.

On the boombox front, our PE department kept breaking the PA so we got a Behringer B207 MP3 Active PA Speaker/Monitor* which they loved so much they got another one. It's small and they can just take it anywhere there's a plug and it's quite loud enough without upsetting neighbouring classes. I gave them a 3.5 to RCA cable and cheap mic so they could use that too if they wanted. As an upside we could borrow them to use as monitors when needed.

* Other suppliers are available.

On the boombox front, our PE department kept breaking the PA so we got a Behringer B207 MP3 Active PA Speaker/Monitor* which they loved so much they got another one. It's small and they can just take it anywhere there's a plug and it's quite loud enough without upsetting neighbouring classes. I gave them a 3.5 to RCA cable and cheap mic so they could use that too if they wanted. As an upside we could borrow them to use as monitors when needed.

* Other suppliers are available.

I have a few of the B205D version and I think they sound great and are very useful bits of kit.

So in the school environment, you've had no blown drivers or other fails?

We had a trial with one of our B205D. We discussed it's strengths and limitations. They tried it for a week or two before we got the bigger model. They'd had it a year before I retired and hadn't blown it at that point. No idea what's happened since. I did a bit of training on how to get the best out of it. They bought it themselves so I think that helped make them more responsible for using it sensibly. I think there was talk of getting a USB powered Bluetooth receiver like this so they could use Bluetooth. Not sure if this happened.

I've used the 105's which I thought were terrific, I intended getting a pair but kept wondering wheth to go for the bigger version (205?), but then I picked up 3 canford's and a Fostek and never gave it another thought. Although the facilities on the Behringer would have been nice to have.

We had a trial with one of our B205D. We discussed it's strengths and limitations. They tried it for a week or two before we got the bigger model. They'd had it a year before I retired and hadn't blown it at that point. No idea what's happened since. I did a bit of training on how to get the best out of it. They bought it themselves so I think that helped make them more responsible for using it sensibly. I think there was talk of getting a USB powered Bluetooth receiver like this so they could use Bluetooth. Not sure if this happened.

• 4 weeks later...

This was my solution..

After a long time of providing tech support and repair to several dance studios, I came to the conclusion that the solution to their (tech) problems will be to replace the small (yet complicated for them..) mixer with a different control unit.

This unit had to be simple and intuitive to operate, be truly fool-proof, will include extended blue-tooth connectivity as well as a unique limiter circuit that limits the level sent to the amplifier (or active speakers).

So after some development and tests I came up with the KIS (Keeps It Simple..) that includes all the above features. It has already been installed in some local dance studios and all ere very pleased with it.

IMG-20180429-132637.jpg

IMG-20190414-150108.jpg

:)