Rack Mounted Mixers with PFL

Brian

Done many many gigs with an XR18. I have two now.

Also have an X32 rack at home.

I’ve controlled them WiFi on an iPad, wired/wireless on a laptop,

a repurposed guitar pedal with an Arduino inside, a Korg Kronos keyboard, QLab….

Never let me down and sounds fine for the stuff I’m doing.

I never had much luck with the built in WiFi, though. I find it really laggy and unstable.

An IEM setup is the standard solution, and works well using industry standard gear.

The manufacturer who embeds audio over wifi into their remote could do well though!

I'm sure they've all thought about it. Certainly crops up regularly in the feature request sections I read.

It's the latency that's the killer for this I believe, going by comments from manufacturers. Low latency audio over wifi frequencies needs to use "tricks" (eg Line 6 mics which jump around on multiple channels) which are not built into a tablet.

It's the latency that's the killer for this I believe, going by comments from manufacturers. Low latency audio over wifi frequencies needs to use "tricks" (eg Line 6 mics which jump around on multiple channels) which are not built into a tablet.

I would still find it useful even with a bit of latency - a lot of the time for PFL you just want to clearly hear what something sounds like, it wouldn't matter if it had 100ms delay on it. Line6 mics are possibly not a good example as they don't use IP protocols and are not "wifi", but for example Chromecast works over IP and manages to do low latency audio.

One of the schools I service has an Alesis Multimix 10 Wireless that has PFL on Aux 1. The also have a MultiMix 12R with PFL on Aux 1. thomann show the Multimix 10 Wireless on their web site. Another option ?

How does that work? It's not mentioned in the manual at all; how I miss block diagrams showing the actual internal signal flows in mixer manuals.

It has the same problem many installation mixers have - gain controls on the rear.

The MZ-372 is a lot closer to what I want...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_mz_372_mixer.htm

...but for that money I can get an XR-18 and have change. I'm still very undecided if a pad-based interface will work for me.

[E2A]

And for the same money, an XR-18 and something like an Akai MIDImix for some real knobs if I need them.

Tablet control is not too bad at all. I don't think I'd want to use it on a festival, but for simple stuff, shows with a bit of setup time, rehearsed tours etc., it's really doable.

One venue I work(ed?) at a lot has an M32. I usually find myself doing most of the setup and soundcheck using a tablet out in the room, only coming back to the booth for the actual show (mostly so I have somewhere to sit and access to PFL). An IEM pack would really improve this setup, obviously.

E2A - if you're getting a controller for XR18 or X32 rack get the Xtouch - it has proper integration, is designed for the job, works over ethernet, has the scribble strips etc.

Edited by J Pearce

Midimix - like all current midi fader panels at lower prices - wouldn't work with xr18 as it only has USB connection for midi but xr18 needs 5 pin din. You'd have to go via a laptop with some midi software.

D'Oh!

So I'll need a DoreMIDI host as well.

I have to say with the x-air the internal wifi has been very solid. If you have a dedicated tablet to control it, it's just a case of turning it on and tapping the app, off it goes. Also the mixer powers on in its last state so all channel gain/mute settings come back within a couple of seconds of power on even if no control devices are connected.

You haven't said the word "yet". No problem using the internal wi-fi if it works for you at home or in a non-critical environment. But, when you've got punters in a show, frankly, not using an external router is stupid, and you will deserve the problems that will most likely hit you at the most awkward time.

Tablet control is not too bad at all. I don't think I'd want to use it on a festival, but for simple stuff, shows with a bit of setup time, rehearsed tours etc., it's really doable.

It's *all* about familiarity with the interface and setting things up to work quickly and efficiently.

I'll happily do small festivals - FOH & 4 way monitoring from a tablet. One of the big benefits, if you're single manning, is to be able to walk up to the talent end do their monitors with them. So, what you lose with a tactile surface, you gain in other areas.