Modern-day Jester replacement

Stuart91

I've got a customer kitting out a studio-style space. They've got a handful of LED fixtures already, and will be adding more. (Probably 8 or 10 in total). There is a small controller in place, one of those ones that has eight faders and multiple banks. It's fine for setting up basic scenes for classes, but they are probably going to want something that they can bring out for performances and set up a cue stack.

Budget isn't unlimited, but previously my go-to console for this kind of task would be a Zero88 Jester. (And the various Frogs, prior to that). They're all now discontinued, and whilst I've happily put boards from the FLX series into venues, it seems a bit like overkill for this application. Plus one-fader-per-channel seems a little more accessible for beginners.

Because their small controller imposes gaps between DMX addresses, I need to be able to patch this down to a sensible layout on the larger desk. This rules out most of the bargain-priced Scenesetter-style options.

It might be that a second-hand Jester is the way to go with this, but are there any other worthwhile options that they could consider?

ETC ColorSource is a good fit for these venues that would have had a jester/strand 200/Smartfade, but now need something smarter to deal with colour mixing.

The StageCL is another contender, with fader for intensity and pots for Hue/Sat, giving that walk up control that used to be handled by a 2 preset desk.

ColorSource and its ilk will probably blow their budget, I don't think I'll be able to persuade them to spend more on the console than they have on the lights themselves. Probably a useful upgrade to point them towards if the facility develops as I suspect it might, thought.

At the cheaper end of the scale, the Showtec ColourCue looks like it might be an option, it seems to have a similar-ish philosophy for colour control. I'm a little wary of it, though: it could be a little gem, or a clunky mess. Has anyone got any direct experience with it?

I prefer the FLX-S24 to the ColorSource as it has more faders, four encoder wheels for movers and is an easy 1 fader per light desk once set up, so suits inexperienced users as it is all in front of them. Has Lee Mood Boards which is better than StageCL colour swatches. There are a lot of features they may not use until someone starts to use the desk for busking or setting up cue stacks for shows. Good support on the FLX-S forum with Lee filters being made available by some users.

The StageCL is also easy for inexperienced operators, I have set it up in schools for teachers that just want to bring up a fader for a light to work. The 4 scene buttons and 4 chase buttons make it easy to run basic dance shows. Colour selection is basic with Hue and Saturation but you can rerecord the built in colour swatches. There are demo videos available to see how it works.

Bit off the wall but we have used an iPad, an Artnet node and a Luminair licence. The software is really intuitive I think it's worth a look - colour pickers, scenes on touch buttons, and you could set up more complex and more simple projects for different uses.

I prefer the FLX-S24 to the ColorSource as it has more faders, four encoder wheels for movers and is an easy 1 fader per light desk once set up, so suits inexperienced users as it is all in front of them. Has Lee Mood Boards which is better than StageCL colour swatches. There are a lot of features they may not use until someone starts to use the desk for busking or setting up cue stacks for shows. Good support on the FLX-S forum with Lee filters being made available by some users.

The StageCL is also easy for inexperienced operators, I have set it up in schools for teachers that just want to bring up a fader for a light to work. The 4 scene buttons and 4 chase buttons make it easy to run basic dance shows. Colour selection is basic with Hue and Saturation but you can rerecord the built in colour swatches. There are demo videos available to see how it works.

Another recommendation for the FLX-S series. I have one at a location I work at very easy for newbies

+1 for the jands CL. I have one, but only really used it with submasters for busking shows.

It's very easy to set up, easy for the complete novice to get light out, and dial in colours.

Don't think I've used the cuestack, but it does exist.

I like it, but it's had so little use over the last couple of years, that I could be persuaded to sell it on.

I've got a customer kitting out a studio-style space. They've got a handful of LED fixtures already, and will be adding more. (Probably 8 or 10 in total). There is a small controller in place, one of those ones that has eight faders and multiple banks. It's fine for setting up basic scenes for classes, but they are probably going to want something that they can bring out for performances and set up a cue stack.

Budget isn't unlimited, but previously my go-to console for this kind of task would be a Zero88 Jester. (And the various Frogs, prior to that). They're all now discontinued, and whilst I've happily put boards from the FLX series into venues, it seems a bit like overkill for this application. Plus one-fader-per-channel seems a little more accessible for beginners.

Because their small controller imposes gaps between DMX addresses, I need to be able to patch this down to a sensible layout on the larger desk. This rules out most of the bargain-priced Scenesetter-style options.

It might be that a second-hand Jester is the way to go with this, but are there any other worthwhile options that they could consider?

Zero88 FLX-s is the way to go for you. It will be quite familiar, but far more advanced and less 'clunky' than the Jester.

The FLX-S24 looks like the right answer, but I'll throw in some Wildcard suggestions for the sake of completeness:

Have you looked at the LightShark LS-1? https://www.workpro.es/lightshark. Not fader per fixture, but interesting conceptually.

Or Altman Genesis / LSC Mantra Lite. (Same console, just rebadged.). https://www.lsccontrol.com.au/product/19/mantra-lite/

Thanks, everyone. It's useful to see the consensus around the FLX. I suspect Zero have done a lot of things right with these consoles.

I've actually suggested one to the customer, I doubt they'll be able to spend that just now, but it may be they rent something when they have to for a few months, and buy one next time there's funding available.

The LightShark looks interesting, Bryson. I was completely unaware of them. I might have a few other uses for something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
When the jester was new it was a similar price to the FLXs desks so it's not an unreasonable replacement. Can't speak for the jands desks but I really hated the ETC colorsource desks when I tried them a few years back - software changes so I'm sure they're better now but no functions being on fixed buttons really annoyed me. I've since bought a couple of flx s24s for my venue - one with my own cash - and hire FLX full size consoles often.

The customers have solved the problem by buying a second-hand Jester. (They saw a good deal on eBay, roughly 1/3 of what they'd have needed to spend to get an FLX S24)

I suspect something more capable will be in their future, though. I suspect S24 will be the frontrunner as soon as there's more budget available.