Two screens from one laptop

Tom

Simplest way of outputting video to two 50” screens (probably smart TVs) from one laptop please for an in-house informal staff training session.

I’m assuming a fairly standard laptop, HDMI output, no fancy graphics cards.

If the two screens are not the same - possibly different sizes or possibly one a smart TV (that we own) and one a hired/borrowed plasma, does that make a difference?

Thanks

T

Hello

How many outputs does the laptop have? If you want to run an extended desktop on two screens, then you will need two separate outputs, and then attach each output to each screen using the correct cable. Select the correct inputs on the the TV screens, then use the desktop/graphics settings of you operating systems to set up and identify which screen is which. It's the same as adding two monitors - very simple and there are probably youtube guides available.

The problem is with things like MacBook Airs, as some simpler laptops do not have the capacity to run extended desktops. You could use an HDMI splitter, but it will just be replicating the same thing on two screens. Maybe test it with your TV screen and a computer monitor to check the principle before hiring another TV in.

In addition, if you are using sound, you will need to nominate which TV screen is going to output the sound and change the settings accordingly.

Edited by natjones

If you want the same image on both screens use an HDMI splitter. Just remember it will only work at the lowest definition of weakest screen.

However, as already said it's relatively easy on most laptops to extend the desktop meaning you can run different content on each screen. If the laptop only has a single HDMI port and either screen supports usb input, you can duplicate the laptop to the usb and extend it to the HDMI.

In my experience, this sort of thing rarely works first time, but I have always found a way through with trial and error.

When we did that we had a laptop with HDMI and VGA output and we could have outputs to two screens that way as long as it wasn't all too media intensive.

I notice that it's an 'informal staff training session.'The biggest problem was that the staff weren't willing to practise with the multiple screens so we ended up duplicating the screen so they could cope. It's fine if they're willing to train to use multiple screens but most weren't and it was embarrassing to have to help them out as they fumbled with too much technology in pressure.

Don't use TV's - most Pro Displays will allow you to 'loop' an Input to an Output and simply daisy chain the two displays.

Joe

I've used this facility for CV & VGA etc but not yet seen it for HDMI. Is that now a common feature?

Edited by sunray

Don't use TV's - most Pro Displays will allow you to 'loop' an Input to an Output and simply daisy chain the two displays.

Joe

I've used this facility for CV & VGA etc but not yet seen it for HDMI. Is that now a common feature?

Most commercial/signage displays have DVI (= pretty much the same as hdmi) loop; or DisplayPort loop

Joe

Most commercial/signage displays have DVI (= pretty much the same as hdmi) loop; or DisplayPort loop

Thanks.

I have used some elderly DVI PC monitors and went through several HDMI to DVI adapters before I found some that worked reliably.

Am I right in thinking the problem was that DVI doesn't have such strict protocols as HDMI?

Edited by sunray