Tailing - does this mean what I think it means?

GruntPuppy

Old steam ships were an asbestos hazard in manufacture or repair because of the asbestos lagging on the steam pipes, In service they were considered to be made safe as long as the asbestos was totally painted.

Humans are very good at good ideas that later turn out to be really, really bad... I'll be sorry to see this go, but not sorry it's gone, if you know what I mean.

The seller offered to let me keep the tag with my date of birth on it, I think he was amused at how horrified I was - it belongs to THAT lamp, after all! I also will be surprised if I see a factory static mount like that again, but hey ho. I shall just have to buy a tripod or two as a cheer-me-up.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old steam ships were an asbestos hazard in manufacture or repair because of the asbestos lagging on the steam pipes, In service they were considered to be made safe as long as the asbestos was totally painted.

While attending an asbestos awareness meeting at the electrical engineering company I served my apprenticeship with, one of the older electricians described how they used to have snowball fights with the loose fluffy asbestos fibre at the shipyards.

While attending an asbestos awareness meeting at the electrical engineering company I served my apprenticeship with, one of the older electricians described how they used to have snowball fights with the loose fluffy asbestos fibre at the shipyards.

I remember the workmen doing that at the new building for my school in 1966.

For gas conversion [1971 I think] we had to fit an asbestos board behind a gas fire, I recall dad cutting it with a wood saw and, knowing the hazzards, ensuring the wind carried it away from the house.

It wasn't much later that we all became accutely aware of the dangers.

Edited by sunray

at least we move forward. It's bloody awful stuff. My great-uncle Robert died of mesothelioma, he was a site electrician at a coalmine. I suppose this is possibly why I was so sensitive (snowflakey?) about this. At least the seller was an absolute gem about it.

I've been cheered up this morning by the arrival of a set of barn doors for my 123 at least. They're going to be fun to paint, polish and re-rivet, but they are at least in rather nice condition, so should do well.