Florence Nightingale

sandall

I believe we are being asked to put a light in the window at 8.30 on Tuesday evening for Florence Nightingale's 200th birthday, & wonder whether sticking a couple of Par-64s in every room will save putting the heating on again (a bit of careful aiming could really upset the neighbours).

I believe we are being asked to put a light in the window at 8.30 on Tuesday evening for Florence Nightingale's 200th birthday, & wonder whether sticking a couple of Par-64s in every room will save putting the heating on again (a bit of careful aiming could really upset the neighbours).

And a bit of careless aiming, or a 'scrollered' tilt lock, could give you a bit more heat than you bargained for...! :s

Ooof. Yes. Not ideal. At a uni show I lit some years ago, we were using par64 stubby floor cans for a backlight up effect. Worked awesome until an actor threw a coat half over one of them... thankfully another actor saw and moved the coat before we had an evacuation situation on our hands :/

I do miss the quality of light. I don’t miss the heat and safety issues! :)

I've got to say that I'm getting a little worn down by these things.

The clap for NHS workers was a great idea to start but is now getting a bit tedious. And from those I know who work IN the NHS they're getting peed off by those who clap on a Thursday then get out into parks and back gardens and streets and party-down at the weekend.

And as has been said in another post, the idea of lighting up buildings is getting old.

I think the hospital staffs and keyworkers and teachers etc KNOW that they have public support - nothing that anyone does will help them one jot in this way.

I know nurses and doctors, I'm married to and know many teachers, I even count the guy who runs the council's bin lorries as a mate. All most of them want is to get on with the job, and if someone sends them a personal message or a small gift to the wards, or some such that means heaps more than people clattering pans or lighting a bridge or building blue...

Rant over

I've got to say that I'm getting a little worn down by these things.

The clap for NHS workers was a great idea to start but is now getting a bit tedious...

I think the hospital staffs and keyworkers and teachers etc KNOW that they have public support...

I know nurses and doctors, I'm married to and know many teachers, I even count the guy who runs the council's bin lorries as a mate. All most of them want is to get on with the job, and if someone sends them a personal message or a small gift to the wards, or some such that means heaps more than people clattering pans or lighting a bridge or building blue...

Rant over

You are correct, nothing we do [clapping/lighting etc] will help them or improve the outcome but our continued appreciation of the essential workers does need to be made public.

I too know a number of people in NHS [and school , preschool, blue light, council etc] and they seem to be saying wait until it's over and then clap but that will then be too late.

However I believe the public at large need something right now, listening to the gov's downbeat announcements is a little demoralising and [not] getting together weekly helps the populous cope. Many of our neighbours have been in full isolation and see no-one, at least this way they do and we see they are OK.

I've stopped trying to light the house now as it's simply too light at 8pm but I do have blue fairy lights on my 15ft christmas tree in the front garden, however my other half is now saying I should only have them on on Thursday and not every day.

I guess Florence's birthday passed most people by - I did put a light in a window (not a PAR64 in the end !!), but it looked very lonely.

Me too! I hung a standard bayonet holder over the curtain pole and stuck an LED flame lamp in it. (The type Clive likes to pull to bits :D ) I was going to go with a bog standard white LED, but thought "Wait - back in Florence's day she would be carrying a candle".

Me not daft ;)

• 2 weeks later...