zoom/obs/youtube live

Dave m

hi

Normally we run an Art Show every year as a graduation /exam piece. (it's marked before but this is for family and friends)

Normally it's a live show, all over a building, 70 artists doing everything from performance to a video showreel, painting, sculpture, immersive stuff etc.

All the students are away in lockdown now, and won't be back. The show is normally end of May/start of June.

What we are trying to do is a sort of Eurovision style presentation that goes out on Youtube live for parents to watch. There are around 70 students needing to present, normally we are meeting via Zoom to discuss stuff.

We'd probably have it arranged that there's a host to camera, then somehow switch to person 1-2-3 -4-5 back to host -6-7-8 etc.

So far the only equipment that I can lay my hands on is OBS/Zoom plus creative cloud. We need some way of connecting as many people with possibly basic tech at home into a multiway event.

I can't get to it at the moment but I also have a Black Magic Television studio plus a BM video recorder that will send the Mix to a computer.

https://hprestonmedi...4hoCOJkQAvD_BwE

If anybody has any experience in this I'd appreciate any ideas. I can possibly get stuff bought on CC and delivered. By that time we may be back at work as well.

The initial idea is that people might use a laptop to literally walk through a sculpture or point it at pictures, talking about their work.

Personally I think that a safety net would be a powerpoint converted to a video or a short film is made as a backup and sent to a central point so that there's a backup if someone's connection goes down.

These shows are legendary and they normally run for 4-5 hours with a free bar, and is the summation of 4 years study, so it needs to be an "Event" - or as close as I can get it.

To Summarise :- 70 participants - many viewers via Youtube live (or Vimeo?) - people take turns

Thanks

We have been looking at Stage Ten to do something similar (should we cancel an event of ours later in the year).

Whilst I haven't been through the ins and outs of it, it looks promising. From what I understand it aggregates feeds from multiple sources (I. E. Your artists) and then presents them so you can mix them in a virtual vision mixer before pumping them out live to your service of choice (Facebook, YouTube, etc.).

I've not had any hands on experience with it yet, but would be I terested on any feedback if you beat me to it!

https://stageten.tv/

OBS.ninja (that's the web address) is an interesting free service someone has set up to take remote phone camera feeds into OBS. The remote contributor goes to obs.ninja on their phone, they are shown a url which you enter into a browser input on OBS. You the get their phone camera / mic as a source in OBS.

We've used it to do church services with several people involved from different homes.

I have literaly been setting OBS up to run thru Zoom for a quiz that should take place in a couple of weeks. Completely new to both it's been a bit of a learning experience (but in NO way am I expert) but I have made it do what I want. Just :)

What I'm doing is setting up a collection of scene groups for each of the 8 quiz round - I think the limit is 24 scenes per group

Each of those scenes can be a variety of sources, from audio files, video files, web cam, external cam (I think) as well as pictures and web URLs displaying live web pages (I'm using a Google Sheet updated by my missus on another machine to keep score).

If you feed the web cam etc into OBS and then take the video/audio from that like everything else to Zoom that seems to be the best solution.

There are loads of settings in both that can trip you up but persevere and you should get what you need.

However, don't hold your breath on getting back to work any time soon. My guess is that this phased return to any sense of normal is going to be longer than many think.

Been looking at this too. My "control" workstation is dual screen, I have a scene with Display Capture running on my second monitor. Put my conference call on there full screen (Teams or whatever you use) then have different scenes where I've cropped the capture to a quarter of the screen to get "full screen" for each participant. This is working well for our staff briefings, where SMT are basically conferencing themselves and we're eavesdropping (and adding PPT slides as needed), but the OBS.ninja solution sounds promising for your needs. You'd just need a way of communicating to them to cue them up?

OR - something much more reliable.... Get them all to film it offline and either stream the videos live or just create a film of it all. Not as exciting as a live performance but 70 participants with dubious hardware and internet connections is almost guaranteed to fall over at some point.

I'm looking at OBS / Teams(Zoom) to do a school open event. However, Zoom can't get the audio from OBS. It can 'see' the virtual camera but will only see the usual audio inputs, i.e. the PC's mic, line in etc.

I can easily use an external mic, but part of the presentation is a video clip with sound that I would run via OBS - but can't get the sound from the video to Zoom, only the pictures!

So far I'm looking at a workaround of using an external USB mixer to feed in a decent mic, then sending the video clip sound to an additional simple USB sound card, from that in to the USB mixer to mix with the mic, then using the PC built in sound for the audio coming back from Zoom....

Or something like that. There may be a way of using 'stereo mix', but that very much depends if the laptop I'll be using has it....

Confused? I am. :(

Am I missing something or is just that Zoom/Teams was only ever intended to be used with a blurry tinny onboard webcam/phone camera??

I'm looking at OBS / Teams(Zoom) to do a school open event. However, Zoom can't get the audio from OBS. It can 'see' the virtual camera but will only see the usual audio inputs, i.e. the PC's mic, line in etc.

I can easily use an external mic, but part of the presentation is a video clip with sound that I would run via OBS - but can't get the sound from the video to Zoom, only the pictures!

Am I missing something or is just that Zoom/Teams was only ever intended to be used with a blurry tinny onboard webcam/phone camera??

I think VB Audio Virtual Cable will do what you need. I've installed it but haven't finished testing yet, so can't confirm.

Philip

I'm looking at OBS / Teams(Zoom) to do a school open event. However, Zoom can't get the audio from OBS. ...........

That was my major problem to start with but between us we managed to fix it.

If you use the virtual OBS virtual cam option (you may need to download a plugin ) but what I ended up finding was that the sound from audio/video clips is going into Zoom over the mic channel.

It did take a LOT of fiddling with settings, including making sure you have the individual sources set to monitor and output, so not 100% sure which bit we changed to get it working but it IS feasible. :P