Tungsten lighting (and fluorescent)

Marineboy63

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ban on certain types of lamp is to be extended to many types of halogen lamp, according to news reports.

BBC news

As with previous bans I presume that manufacture or import is to be prohibited, and that existing stocks may be sold and used without concerns.

Does anyone have a link to a list of types to be banned ? Mainly the smaller ones used d0m3stically I suspect, though do be aware that production of other types may cease.

The ban on certain types of lamp is to be extended to many types of halogen lamp, according to news reports.

BBC news

As with previous bans I presume that manufacture or import is to be prohibited, and that existing stocks may be sold and used without concerns.

Does anyone have a link to a list of types to be banned ? Mainly the smaller ones used d0m3stically I suspect, though do be aware that production of other types may cease.

"The new legislation would mean retailers will no longer be able to sell the majority of halogen bulbs for general household use in the UK from 1 September."

"Exemptions will be in place for lamps designed and marketed specifically for scene-lighting use in film studios, TV studios, and photographic studios, or for stage-lighting use in theatres or other entertainment events."

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/end-of-halogen-light-bulbs-spells-brighter-and-cleaner-future

And florescent tubes to end in sept 2023.One interesting bit that I spotted hidden away was the plan to ban any light fitting were the lamp was unchangeable,wonder if there going to change the rules regarding achieving energy efficiency in new builds that requires either a sealed unit or a lamp base that's not compatible with older non energy efficient lamps,or are we going to see an explosion in incompatible lamp bases Edited by themadhippy

Does anyone know WHICH lamp types are to be banned ?

The government press release looks to have been written by a p0litician rather than by an engineer and gives no details.

It also implies that SALES will be banned from September, whereas previous "bans" related only to manufacture or import, with existing stocks allowed to be sold lawfully.

The government press release looks to have been written by a p0litician rather than by an engineer and gives no details.

Use of the term "bulb" (rather than lamp) throughout and some odd choice of nomenclature like "2 thirds". Overall the wording/grammar and formatting/capitalisation was a bit sloppy in that text. If I'd've received that text in an email it would have tweaked my "spam/phishing" radar!

On the lamp types, I assume the list generated during the "Save Tungsten" campaign will cover the types required by most of us on here. I'm sure we discussed it extensively before but this seems to be the latest list on the ALD site: https://www.ald.org....o%20Save%20List

Edited by kgallen

Use of the term "bulb" (rather than lamp) throughout and some odd choice of nomenclature like "2 thirds". Overall the wording/grammar and formatting/capitalisation was a bit sloppy in that text. If I'd've received that text in an email it would have tweaked my "spam/phishing" radar!

On the lamp types, I assume the list generated during the "Save Tungsten" campaign will cover the types required by most of us on here. I'm sure we discussed it extensively before but this seems to be the latest list on the ALD site: https://www.ald.org....o%20Save%20List

There is so much wrong with this release that one doesn't know where to start really - but hey as no one reads papers any more maybe it doesn't matter. Actually this standard of writing is one of the main reasons why people don't read papers any more.

Edited by Junior8

This announcement by the lighting industry makes the position clearer.

My link

As I suspected, lamps already in stock may be still be sold. And not all halogen lamps are to be banned. Self ballasted CFLs ARE to be banned. HMG really ought to proof read their own press releases.

Great clarification, thanks @adam2. It's depressing that an official Govt statement contains so much misleading information. So basically it reads as "Aren't we great and being really green (ps never mind the details, we're not interested in accuracy).". Unacceptable really, we need to be able to trust our government.

Ooops maybe that's politics...

Edited by kgallen

Thanks for posting the link.

Interesting about the 4/5 ft flourescent tubes. That'll impact a good number of kitchens, workrooms and offices.

I guess there will be a good market for drop-in LED tubes that don't need the fitting modified. Certainly be a good trade for sparkies mod'ing or replacing existing fittings.

Thanks for posting the link.

Interesting about the 4/5 ft flourescent tubes. That'll impact a good number of kitchens, workrooms and offices.

I guess there will be a good market for drop-in LED tubes that don't need the fitting modified. Certainly be a good trade for sparkies mod'ing or replacing existing fittings.

I also fear for the longer term availability of "blacklight" and other special types of fluorescent lamp. It would seem reasonable to exempt these special types from the coming ban, but that does not tell the whole story.

If production of the common types of fluorescent tube is banned, then I rather doubt that keeping open the factory to make small numbers of specials will be viable.

Special types of fluorescent include.

UV blacklight popular for effects in the entertainment industry.

UV insect killer lamps.

Cosmetic sun tanning lamps.

Deep yellow "safe" lights used in photochemical processes. Also sometimes for outdoor use to avoid attracting insects.

Actinic blue lamps for printing.

Clear glass germicidal lamps, for air and water treatment.

Other coloured lamps.

Most of these are made in volumes of a few hundred at most, as a "sideline" in works that produce millions of the popular types.

To follow on from Adam2's comment, even if we can get the relevant lamps, where are we going to get the correct ballasts and control gear from? Again, mass production is essential to make manufacture viable.

A local electrical wholesaler catering mostly to light industrial and smaller users has given up selling complete fluorescent lamp fittings and replacement internal parts such as ballasts because of lack of demand. They still sell lamps and starters, but demand is rapidly slowing as people make the change to LED at lamp-change time for efficiency reasons.

Edited by pmiller056

Ballasts might become a problem, but they tend to last longer than lamps, and often are still working when a fitting is discarded, and are therefore available for re-use.

They are smaller to store, and less easily broken in storage than are lamps.

I would however suggest that anyone scrapping a fluorescent light fitting should consider saving the ballast, it takes moments to remove it and you may want it one day. Might even be valuable one day. Electronic ballasts have a limited shelf life as the capacitors degrade. Coper/iron ballasts should keep forever.

Think twice about disposing of any surplus fluorescent lamps, someone else may be glad of them, either as a favour or for a price.

BTW, I am old enough to remember many now virtually extinct types of fluorescent lamp and control gear including,

Five foot 80 watt, with bayonet caps.

Coloured lamps that were a different colour each end.

2 foot 40 watt lamps.

Lamps with a SINGLE pin each end.

Odd voltage tungsten lamps for operation in series with a fluorescent tube, instead of a ballast.

4 pin lamp starters, thermal, not glow.

"double glow" starters, two glow starters in the same 4 pin can.

Special rotary switches for fluorescent lamps on DC mains, these reversed the supply polarity each time the lamp was turned on, to avoid the mercury migrating to one end.

Special ballasts for 400 cycle supplies.

Ballasts with tapings for different mains voltages.

Chokes with a separate starting transformer.

Desk lamps with a manual starting switch, built into the on/off switch.

And others.

So the LIA press release says

Linear Halogen R7s lamps over 2,700 lumens

will be out from Oct '21 yet the government's page of assorted words says

HL R7 halogens will remain available on the market

and the ALD wanted to keep

K Class linear Floods

Is there a difference between R7 and R7s? haven't worked it out myself in 10+ years

Are K Class the same or something else?

I realise this won't affect d0m35t1c floodlights as they tend to rust themselves to pieces anyway necessitating fixture replacement. 2700lm probably means everything over 120W is gone. Is this the death of the cheap dimmable temporary houselight?

Is this the death of the cheap dimmable temporary houselight?

A possible compromise: B&Q/Screwfix Dimmable 118mm R7 126w equivalent

Dimming curve wouldn't be as nice, plus you'd need twice or three times as many for same light output as 500w halogen, but may work for some situations.

I might get one to play with :)

Edited by sleah