JBL VRX boxes - mounting variables

paulears

For a while now, I've wanted to change some of the speaker systems I have and use for various things and my real problem is simply van space for the band - so the idea I had to buy some Thomann boxes fell by the wayside because I just couldn't make what I wanted/needed fit the van. Two elderly EAWs with 2 x 15" at the bottom have been really good but they're now a bit rattly on some low notes and the outside is getting very worn and touched up. I've also got into the habit of using these in my summer venue when I heard the ones an Abba tribute had that sounded great in our low, but wide and deep auditorium. I heard just before I went away for panto a band with some JBL VRX932 passive boxes with the matching 18" subs. They used them ground stacked and they sounded nice. Not massive amounts of bottom end, but a rather clean, nice sound and wide coverage, but not too much up and down - ideal for the theatre. Ground stacking is usual here because the ceiling in front of the stage is only 6m carpet to tiles. There are some rigging points the other side of the tiles, but a faff to get to.

I found some - a mix of brand new and display stock which didn't worry me and I have 2 918 subs and 4 932 tops on the way with an option for another 2 if I need them.

Some things that I have not had a chance to try for myself are to do with rigging them. The price of the rigging frame is over 500 quid for two bits of steel welded together? Seriously? The speakers have built in rigging kit, so you can attach each box to the next, and stick a pin in. You can also use a pole to move the tops up from the sub - 35mm sockets at two angles built into the 932s. Two of these come to 40Kgs which seems a bit much for a 35mm tube in my head, although 2 boxes on them is within the manufacturer's spec. My other option in the theatre would be to fly them, but as I mentioned this means making holes in the ceiling panels to get to the points and the cost of the kit to get them ups there, and of course the hassle with lifting compared to ground stacking makes me think ground mounting the subs with poles gets the tops in a perfectly good place for audience coverage. In fact, if the units were locked together, then from the plinth location, this would work pretty well too, and be much easier to rig/de-rig as that would be a one man job, rather than two with the pole at anything other than the lowest setting.

Transport wise - I'm thinking the sub with two (possibly three) boxes on could be in a flight case, and two of these would fit the van - just.

I'm sold on the sound - it's quite bright with the 3 horns in each box, but there is a -3/0/+3dB switch on the horns on each 932. The one I listened to was set to the mid position and I didn't have the chance to experiment. Our band doesn't need amazing bass being a 60s sound. In the theatre there are additional subs from the old system still there so they could easily be used if needed.

Anyone got any comments on the best way to use what I've ordered. Not sure if I'll need the 2 extra 932 boxes because the theatre venue is so low, and because of the constant curvature of the system, the third set would be nearly 45 degrees up - pointing at the ceiling.

The VRX range has been around for a long time now and the reviews seem pretty variable and in the main positive. They're not being shipped for a few weeks as I'm still away doing panto - so have a chance to cancel as long as it's before the new year - so if anyone has any real negatives I've not considered I'd like to hear them. I seem to have a system I will like the sound of, is quite small, but loud and is a one man rig. I don't think I've seen any of our sort of size acts touring with one, bar one - and youtube has very few videos of people using them, so typical of me - I've taken a liking for something a bit odd.

This constant curvature thing seems a rather useful concept for what I want. What do you think?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

If the sound and dispersion suits you, then go for it. I'm sure by now you'll have seen many happy VRX users and many who slam it as soon as the name is mentioned. I've not tried them, so won't try and comment.

With regards to the frame, yes - fly frames are pricey because they are typically certified to carry the stated load. However, if you are only ever ground stacking them, then making your own is quite doable. You would most likely want to be able to tilt the bottom cab 'downwards' slightly, for those venues where you stack the bins on stage and place the tops on top, and a "flat" VRX speaker would shoot over the audience heads.

Simon

I downloaded the software and discovered that to fly them, which I could if I could use existing holes in the asbestos roof panels, I’d need two more boxes to cover the first few rows and direct connection to the subs would be, as you say, too low, the poles would work pretty well, although level past 22 rows back starts to be a little low, but that’s quite normal for us and people pick these on purpose. I think I’m going to go for it. The engineering firm we use for certification in the theatre might be able to fabricate a copy of the top frame, I’ll see what they say.

Hi, Here is another idea..

I recently designed and built for a colleague a set of four adapters for mounting 3 VRX top cabs on a stand.

The adapters are designed so that the stack's COG is located right over the pole, so the setup is properly balanced.

IMG-20191023-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20191101-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191103-WA0001.jpg

Hope this helps..

:)

@Nid, digressing slightly and I appreciate it may not be your setup, but that loaded dolly is an accident waiting to happen. Just saying...

Not mine! I agree with your concern, though at least on the visible caster the brake seems to be locked. I hope the other three are also..

:)

How so? The weight of the two subs vs two quite light LEDs wouldn't worry me? Am I missing something? I guess if the brakes fail it could be pulled off, but if there are more than one.........?

I rather like Nid's bracketry - quite a neat idea! You could probably sell these!

How so? The weight of the two subs vs two quite light LEDs wouldn't worry me? Am I missing something? I guess if the brakes fail it could be pulled off, but if there are more than one.........?

I rather like Nid's bracketry - quite a neat idea! You could probably sell these!

Braked wheels can easily become disengaged inadvertently, I'm often doing it when working around trunks in steel toecaps. Particularly on a raked stage, one brake released can cause a mass to shift forward and that little lot could end up on the floor, injuring someone on its way. Each to their own, but I would not allow it on my RAMS.

The general rule that Tony has in mind is that wheels are for shifting stuff not for supporting stuff you don't want to shift. Yes there is stuff like rolling risers but the general point remains.

Love the brackety things as long as they aren't on too tall stands. That's about 150 pounds in weight, I believe.

I'm having a reflect moment. My storage/transmport solution was sub in a case with two tops attached semi-permanetly for they types of things I plan for it. Most times wheels on the floor, but a few places I can think of we visit would have them on the stage front wings. Being honest, the braked pair of wheels I'd assumed (wrongly it seems) were enough. My over-riding thought for this transport arrangement was speed and number of bodies required to load/unload and rig?

Any proven simple way other than a batten and 6" nails into the parquet?

Paul, I've only ever seen tops semi-permanently attached and transported together in flown situations.

I have seen VRX tops over ground stacked VRX subs using the pole mount on the top sub, however I imagine the tops are manhandled individually each time.

Agree with Gary's point re the weld, perhaps Nid can advise on whether these have been stress tested and SWL rated by an engineer?

In the past I have raised wheeled cabs off the floor by using wooden blocks a bit bigger than the castor height. Adding a bit of rubber mat to each side helps.It's easier than carrying a chunk of ply with a 2x2 frame screwed to it

Happy New Year, Paul. If it were anyone else but you I would be reluctant to post this but you know I am daft anyhow so; If they don't come with wheels why are you sticking them on when a dolly is the obvious solution?

AFIK these are meant to be flown subs so wheels would just get in the way and are thus an add-on by users rather than JBL. Or am I confused (not a rarity here)?