Attaching a projector to a girder?

Karel Bata

This camera mount popped into my inbox yesterday (it being Black Friday). And I thought, "hm..."

51QkrE4pDCL._SL1001_.jpg

£36, inc delivery. It's an imitation of something more expensive, but I bet it works ok.

Now imagine that upside-down, with the 'camera' mounting hanging below and supporting a platform holding the projector.

It says the max load is 17kg. I doubt it would really go that far, but my projector is 2.5kg (including cables and player).

Not sure I'd be happy about it all hanging on a 1/4" thread, but that can modified.

Anyway, there must be other similar mounts out there....

Thoughts?

EDIT: worth mentioning that I'm using a 3.5k lumens office projector. Unlike an event projector, these don't point the beam straight out, but at an angle to the horizontal axis, so the projector's body is more or less horizontal when projecting up (from a desk) or down (from a ceiling). My point being that the projector wouldn't be pointing down at an awkward angle and putting a strain on this mount. It would be horizontal, though still need a little adjusting.

It's like this...

Screen-Shot-2019-11-30-at-15-51-21.jpg

Edited by Karel Bata

You should use standard hardware and brackets for several reasons; not the least of which being safety and appropriateness.

I get you’re trying to do this on the cheap but some things you can’t cheap out on. In any case a couple of bits of Unistrut; a few flange clamps to clip to the I beam and a projector bracket fit for purpose shouldn’t be a lot more than what you’ve linked there. It’s the knowledge and skill to put it in that’s the important bit.

Please don’t hang things over people without getting someone who knows what they are doing to assist you. It’s clear that you have some gaps in your knowledge in this area.

• 1 month later...

I'd been mulling this over for way too long, and then had a brainwave!

Rather than using one scaff bar, why not use two side by side? The two bars would be attached to the beam using four scaff beam clamps. A sheet of plywood is secured firmly between the two bars using 50mm u-bolts. The projector is then secured to the ply sheet - which is an easy matter. The projector only weighs 2kg - less than the scaff!

A budget solution that's quick to rig, and should be rock solid! biggrin.gif

Screen-Shot-2020-01-08-at-10-33-12.jpg

I'm not missing anything am I?

Edited by Karel Bata

I'd been mulling this over for way too long, and then had a brainwave!

Rather than using one scaff bar, why not use two side by side? The two bars would be attached to the beam using four scaff beam clamps. A sheet of plywood is secured firmly between the two bars. The projector is then secured to the ply sheet - which is an easy matter. The projector only weighs 2kg - less than the scaff!

A budget solution that's quick to rig, and should be rock solid! biggrin.gif

Screen-Shot-2020-01-08-at-10-33-12.jpg

I'm not missing anything am I?

If you are confident and competant to rig lumps of steel over the heads of the public then in essense yes the scaff idea is ok.

Are you TOTALLY confident you can hang the projector under the ply?

Edited by sunray

Thanks for the input.

The projector will be secured on top of the ply, which will be U-bolted to the scaff.

The scaff will protrude by 1m, and the projector weighs 2kg.

Will the projector be able to stand on its feet on the ply? or will it need to be inverted?

In my experience office style projectors can't project downwards, not many like laying flat on a surface upside down due to ventilation and will require this to be catered for.

If you are planning to outrig to a metre, I'd suggest you should be looking at something the other end of the scaff to balance the structure.

Edited by sunray

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for delay. Seemed polite to come back and follow-up.

Good questions Ray.

I've got eight(!) of these projectors - though two are now dead. They used to go for $2k, but that's plunged since because they're pre-HDMI. I was gifted two and then bought more on eBay. They're compact, light, trouble-free, and they allow you to take out the color wheel thus increasing their rated 3k Lm to monochrome 4k, which is perfect for a lot of what I do.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-27-at-12-23-17.jpg

Why put the vents on the bottom?

So, upside-down... Your post worried me. I have used these several times upside-down for a few hours with no probs. And the top is flat - it just invites you to flip it over. However I looked in the manual, and there's no mention of flipping it. Nor anything saying not to. Nada. A bit of an oversight methinks. I searched on the web for the lamp specs (which I couldn't find - lamp is U5-200 if anyone's a genius at this!) but the lamp doesn't look the type where it make any difference. And I'll be running in eco mode so it won't be at max heat anyway. And I'll keep spares on tap.

Cheers!

Edited by Karel Bata

If I've found the right manual - apparently you can flip the image. Instructions to do so are here. This implies that the projector can be used inverted but the lack of instructions on how to mount a ceiling plate (or from the diagrams a lack of threaded points to mount it) is worrying. I feel this projector is designed to only be used on a table top, so if you did want to fly it a cage system would be the best way to go.