Roller Shutters

Tom

I happened to be in the workshop yesterday when the chap turned up to do the annual inspection of the manual roller shutter door.

This seemed to consist of him running it up, spraying a bit of WD40 in the runners, a cursory look at the runners and then lowering it back in.

Later , I looked at the tick sheet he’d completed and left with our building department. It included several items to do with bearings and other things that as far as I could tell he’d not looked at. Now I’m not familiar with the inner workings of these things but I figure there must be something clever going on in that big metal box at the top to balance the thing, not to mention some fixings stopping it all coming off the wall in a hurry.

So my question to you is, have you been around when your roller shutter was inspected and if so, what do they do? How thorough are they? Do they dismantle and examine the top mechanism?

T

I do electric shutters not manual, but the standards for mechanical aspects are the same (BSEN12604), just doesnt then need BSEN12453 for the electrics side

usually on a service youd be looking for any issues with it, give it a bit spray etc, they dont really take much doing although id expect they would have at least had a look behind any covers at the top, check the condition of the chain etc, make sure spring is balanced (obvious by taking it up & down)

current standards require that it cant fall in even on a failure of a single part. in electric that usually means a brake on non motor side, however manual shutters have the spring that side so really any single failure and its not likely to suddenly drop excessively

Later , I looked at the tick sheet he’d completed and left with our building department. It included several items to do with bearings and other things that as far as I could tell he’d not looked at.

In similar fashion, I'm sure every PAT test minion opens every non-moulded plug and checks the internal connections before slapping the green sticker on the back of it...

Most manual roller doors seem to operate in a similar way to chain hoists.If a chain hoist can hold say, an engine, then it can act as a brake against the roller door?

I don't think a roller has a brake as such?

different to a chain hoist - with a chain hoist you can let go of the chain and itll stay in place. with the shutter you need to hold the chain. let go and it will come down under its own weight, force limited by the spring