Making Wireless Light Boxes

DavidCoull

Hi, I've recently come across 4 acrylic boxes around 75cm Cubed. I want to turn them into light boxes that will be used on stage for school and amateur dramatic companies. The boxes are strong enough to stand on and have lids which are hinged. I'm looking for ideas on how to frost the sides of them to create a nice even spread of light and colour. I would also like suggestions for Fixtures that I can place inside but would want them to battery powered and wireless DMX. The fixtures would need to create an all round spread of light and would be great if they're at least RGBW. If anyone has any information, suggestions or photos of similar which have been done in the past then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

David.

As a light source I'd suggest putting a smaller cube inside with RGBW LED tape wrapped around it. Two or three turns should do it. And to control it there's plenty of choice. I'd suggest City Theatrical stuff but I have connections there so I'm biassed! Having said all that, the down side is that the box, or at least the inner cube then becomes the fixture (rather than a self contained fixture just dropped in the big box) so it would need locking off from prying fingers, especially if it's a school. A 5Ah or 7Ah battery will provide a decent run time but you can calculate just how big a battery you need once you have the tape sorted. Frosting - translucent acrylic sheet or simply thick tracing or drafting paper stuck to the inside. Or heavy frost gel.